Chef Forum banner

We all Scream for ICE CREAM!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  andy m. 
#1 ·
I own a ice cream maker and want to make ice cream this summer. Ben & jerry's book talks about cooking the cream batter but doesn't say why or how long this should be done or how long the batter should be cooled after cooking. I need input on making ice cream, the tricks and tried and true methods, even some recipes would be nice. My maker has a stripe bucket with a freezer core that needs to be frozen for 2 days. :chef:

#2 ·
Dagger:

I believe B&J recipes call for eggs. Cooking the mix will both improve the texture of the ice cream and make the eggs safer to eat. Even if the recipe does not call for eggs, do this cooking as it will improve the texture of the final product.

Heat the mix to 170-175F for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Refrigerate overnight.

The colder the ingredients and the tub, the better the results will be. Process the mix until it reaches almost a soft serve consistency then transfer it to a covered container and put it in thr freezer for a few hours. The ice cream will harden to its final texture in the freezer.

Over mixing will give the ice cream a greasy texture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.