Wazzzuppp

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by panini, Jul 19, 2002.

1. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I just went to our small garden to get a cucumber. I brushed back some leaves and to my surprise there were 4-5 very large yellow cucumbers. almost the color of yellow squash. Is this from the shade of the leaves, too much water(it has been raining a lot here). It's weird, they are large 12". there were as many ripe green ones as yellow ones. I could'nt tell if the yellow and the green were on the same plant. any ideas?
    TIA
    Justin Credible

2. kimmie

kimmie

Yellow cucumbers are overmature and will be strong flavored and of poor quality.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kimmie,
    Thanks, I guess I had never left em long enough for this to happen.

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    They can also yellow from too much water.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd say, throw them on the compost heap.

If you get to them before they get yellow, but are too big to use in the "usual" ways, try this:

Peel overlarge cukes and cut lengthwise; scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice thinly.

Saute in a bit of vegetable oil with some grated fresh ginger until they start to soften up a bit. Drizzle with a little dark sesame oil and splash with some of your favorite soy sauce.

Remove from heat and sprinkle liberally with toasted sesame seeds. This is great warm or cold. Very refreshing!

I learned to treat cucumbers this way from a Malaysian college roomate.