Wats wrong with my whole wheat?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by hajima, Oct 10, 2017.

1. hajima

hajima

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi.

I make a lot of bread that all turns out fine. Recently, however, my boss asked me to start mixing our whole wheat in the smaller mixer and its never come out right again.

I've tried mixing longer on 2 or giving it an rest in between mixing, adding water, and I'm not sure what's going wrong.

It comes out lumpy or cracky something.

Slightly unrelated, but Also many of the recipes call for mixing on speed 2 first then on speed one, I.e. 7 minutes on two then 7 minutes on one. I've never heard of that so most of the time I do it backwards 7 on one then 7 on two. But for the whole wheat I've tried it both ways.

2. hajima

hajima

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sorry don't know if its important but my method for making the above was five min one five min rest five min 1 adding yeast and salt then seven on two.

I don't even remember what the original mixing procedure was in the big mixer but it was similar.

Edit: one last thing I forgot. The initial thought was that it was getting additional heat from friction (it felt almost steaming coming out of the bowl the first time) but I've adjusted water temperature a bunch and it still comes out weird.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    well, the first speed on the mixer is to get your ingredients to come together. Second speed is there to develop the gluten.

the dough should be smooth and elastic. For cautionary sake I would mix a few minutes, stop and check the dough with a window pane test, and continue till you get that elastic dough. Loaves can come out cracked and ugly if they are overworked.

Newer employees where I am tend to always over round our sourdough bread bowls, and I can see the tearing in the outside of the loaf, and then when it proofs there is not much structure to hold the bowls round so they proof into this lumpy mess.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    So you changed mixers and now the product is FUBAR.
    My first thought would be to switch back to the bigger mixer.
    Bosses sometimes don't get it but as a rule (maybe I am old school here) bakeries are run by experienced people who have years in the biz....did management slip a pogue in there?
    Asking you to reinvent the wheel is a poor use of time IMO.
    I got your back if you need me there.
    mimi