Water Stone or Oil Stone?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by hos19925, Nov 9, 2011.

1. hos19925

hos19925

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Alright so the deal is...I was helping my grandparent clean out their attic and came across some old stones. All 3 in the box brand new! Of course no writing on the boxes. Is there some way I am able to tell whether they are water stones or oil stones?

All input is appreciated, thanks in advance

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    N.America did not have a waterstone tradition, and it is only since the late '70's/early '80's that waterstones entered the market. 

Generally, anything older than 30 years would almost certainly be oilstones--assuming your grandparents are from the U.S....

Soaking the stones in water won't hurt one bit, and there are as many "recipies" for lubricant for oilstones as there are people--some even advocate the use of a dishwashers.

Try them out, if there are three, it's a good guess that they will be course, medium, and fine.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As 'Pump said and for the reasons he gave, they're more than likely oil stones.  North American oilstones come in three basic "flavors."  Silicon carbide; Aluminum oxide, and (natural) Arkansas. 

If you post pictures, I can probably tell you type and manufacturer.  If you can do a good job of describing their appearance -- including size, color and how they feel to your fingertips when rubbed lightly -- that might be enough.  Also, check the sides of the stones to see if there's any labeling or marking there.

BDL