washing fruits/veggies (w FIT)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chucknorris, May 10, 2006.

1. chucknorris

chucknorris

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Wanted to ask the group what their thoughts were on washing fruits and veggies. Does anyone use commercial wash treatments(FIT)...or is washing (and/or scrubbing) with water good enough? I understand that both of the methods above are not as effective at removing bacteria as a perfectly landed Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick...but the wife is getting upset at the mess that is made in the kitchen. Many thanks, CN

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I think those products are just another way to separate people from their money. :mad: I'm much more concerned about removing pesticide residue than bacteria, anyway. And I really dislike the crunch of dirt in my salad.

I just rinse with plenty of running water. Something like leafy greens, I soak in a couple of changes of water to get all the dirt off, and sometimes use ever-so-slightly-warm water. And I use a brush for scrubbing potatoes, turnips, etc.

But for organic stuff I buy at farmers' markets, I just give a quick rinse to remove dirt and grit. Don't have to worry about all those nasty pesticides on that stuff.

3. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm with Suzanne on this. My wife insists on buying that spray bottle of something from Trader Joes or Wholefoods or whatever. For me, plain water or soap and water works well enough. If I am going to use a citrus zest for example, I will scrub it with soap and water first. Otherwise for tomatoes and fruits like apples, pears, etc. a quick rinse under the tap is all it gets.

Jock

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I do use Ffit, but not consistently. Mostly I use it for veggies like zucchini, leeks and asparagus, which have particularly tenacious grit. I've used both the concentrate you add to water and the type you spray directly on the veggies.

5. andrew563

andrew563

I use just plain water. Except with lemons, limes, oranges or apples. Usually they have a wax coating that needs to be washed off with a light soap and water mix.

6. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good ol H2O...and a little aggitation to knock off stubborn grit. I agree, this is just one of those products that seperate money from you. J M O...

7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How does everyone feel about using soap on vegetables,fruits, greens, chicken. I can't see how the soap does not get into the pores of the skin and thus would never use soap. However, I have heard from many that they do use soap. Would like to hear more from others on this and in particular I would like to hear what the professional chefs are doing in their kitchens.

8. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would never dream of using soap. the forementioned products are desighnrd for fruits and veggies in particular, but even then, what kinda "soap: is it. I don't like using them because it is ultimatly a chemical.

I always set a collander, or china cap, depending on the amount of product, and set up a submergeon tank with room to run water. As far as the waxxy coating on citrus, apples, and the like...it is water soluable, with warm water.

As far as poultry/fowl, I was tought to run under cold water and if need be rub it with kosher salt to use as an abbrasive and knock off any heavy outer debris...

9. even stephen

even stephen

In many third world countries a very light water bleach solution
    is used to wash vegetables, ground fruits, and lettuces. Very
    light, probably 1 part to 10K. I think we are all a little over sensitive,
    although I will wash cuts of meat with internal rib cage( poultry
    and fish especially.

10. chucknorris

chucknorris

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    hmm. with meat when cooked to either 140 or 165...isn't the organisms that cause food-bourne illness killed?