Washing bagged produce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, Jan 21, 2010.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I checked to see if there was a simple answer on the net and it is a mixed bag so I hopped back quick so I would not have to log in again to ask the question.

Generally it is just lettuce or broccoli in our home but the wife likes to wash it out of the bag. I was thinking it is generally already washed and I think the FDA says it is safe w/o washing out of the bag but what do the fine members of this group say?

2. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Hmmm I don't know your local laws there. The only greens I ever bother washing are the boutique dense type lettuces, celery, broccoli and leeks. Haven't had any probs, but farming procedures may differ there.

I'm sure locals and those better informed will give you a more comprehensive answer. But you can wash just to be sure, then capture that water to put onto your garden, economically/ environmentally friendly wise.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    It's always a good idea to wash before using.

4. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Except for cabbage, anything I'm eating raw gets washed first in a white vinegar-cold water bath, then rinsed in plain cold water. Vinegar is a natural astringent. It doesn't leave any taste. I don't care what the FDA says about bagged produce being "safe" to eat as is, I wash it anyway (that is, what little I buy of it). When you first open the bag, get a good whiff of it...eeuuww! Chemotherapy patients are instructed to thoroughly wash everything they eat raw, but to avoid prepared produce in the bags altogether. So if your immune system is compromised, pay attention. Better safe than sorry.

5. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    AG. Thanks for the super answer. You gave in depth information in an easily assimilated format. I am hooked on data and people like you are my lifeline. I would guess they beef up the perservatives before packaging.

6. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I agree with OP's. If nothing else, this 'extra' wash will freshen the greens up.

7. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. By the way, I always blanch veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus with salt added to the water. Even though it's still essentially raw, the blanching intensifies the color, sterilizes, and (I think) makes it taste better.

8. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm a "Trust but verify" kind of guy. So, I wash.