Wash DC

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by shroomgirl, Oct 26, 2005.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I've got a conference this weekend in DC....any suggestions? not just restaurants but all other food venues....bakeries, choc shops, cheese shops, interesting grocery stores, farmer's markets (though that's the conference and I'm sure we'll see a bunch).....
    TIA

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sad to say it's been awhile since I was in DC but one of my favorite places was always Sutton Place Gourmet. Nice place to visit for high quality stuff, although I guess it was bought out by Balduccis?.

Balducci's is not just a grocery store. It's a marketplace of inspiration, where cultures and aromas, memories and tastes intertwine in a swirl of gustatory... possibility. Click on your region below to find the store nearest you. For information about our restaurants, click here.
    Maryland

BETHESDA
    10323 Old Georgetown Road
    Bethesda, MD 20814
    (301) 564-3100, Fax: (301) 493-5947
    Mon-Sun 8AM to 9PM
    View Map

Virginia

ALEXANDRIA
    600 Franklin Street
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    (703) 549-6611, Fax: (703) 549-1138
    Mon-Sat 8AM to 9PM, Sun 8AM to 8PM
    View Map

Washington, DC

WASHINGTON, DC
    3201 New Mexico Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20016
    (202) 363-5800, Fax: (202) 363-7060
    Mon-Sat 9AM to 9PM, Sun 9AM to 8PM
    View Map

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks,
    I think I enjoy grocery stores as much as restaurants.....Balducci's, Fairway, Zabars, Macy's are all treats to poke through...one of my best friends was the first employee of Dean and Deluca....love the stories.

Looks like I'm on a whirlwind of the eastcoast for the next 2 weeks....mainly DC with some Newport News and Hudson Valley thrown in for good measure.

4. vertigo

vertigo

theres citronelle, the occidental grille, tosca. if you make it to baltimore, timothy dean bistro is excellent, as are charleston and pazo. if your looking for something a little less pricey theres a great place called redfish (also baltimore).

5. vertigo

vertigo

oh yeah, if your in the newport news area you could swing by "the trellis" in williamsburg. its not too far from there. the last time i was in town they had some pretty good stuff. its been a year though so i cant make any promises...

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I ended up going to minibar at Atlantica....6 seats 2 seattings and 34 mini courses ala El Bulli. Really a hoot! I'd do it again.
    Zytanias was great for lunch, got a tour of their extremely cool kitchen which cranks out upwards of 1000 meals a day! Scratch pasta, fresh pitas, etc....
    Got menus will share when I catch up around here.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Allman's BBQ in Fredricksburg, VA was FINE.....pulled or chopped with a great spicy sweet non tomato sauce, cabbage only cream slaw....YUMMMMM>

8. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

I was just in DC a few months back myself. I also enjoyed Zytanias, especially their carrot, apricot and pinenut fritters. and their hummus?! man!

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I had cooked kibbee (oh man, it was a beautiful thing) raw kibbee....subtle and wonderful, stuffed squash blossoms with feta/ricotta on a bed of tomato, dolmas, anchovys, 3 different desserts...olive oil ice cream, apricot/vanilla mousse/muscat jell/apricot fluff, chocolate cake with loads of wonderful garnishes....I just sampled my way through the menu, the waiter/bartender was alittle baffled and was not a foodie but after the second round of orders the managers noticed and started answering my questions, got a tour and resies at Atlantico for the next night! cha ching!!! Food lovers unite (it's so cool to be able to find someone that will give you great advice on food establishments in an unknown town). Ten Penh was a blast, the desserts were so fine!