Wanting to get into cooking but..

Joined Jun 13, 2003
Hey all been reading this board for a while but havent posted. Ok here is my problem, i want to become a :chef: but last time i was in a kitchen was working at burger king. (I mean a kitchen besides mine) And that was back in high school, worked at a movie theater in college. Went to college for computers. But i want to be a cheif and will do anything i have to, to become one. I mean if i have to clean dishes when busy and only cook when not busy to start i will. But since i dont have any recent experence cant get anyone to even call. i am 23 if you are wondering. I am going to become a chef. I am even planning on attending Kendrel college to become a cook. But cant afford it right now plus i want to get some experence before i go to college. So if any of you have tips on what i can do to get hired i would really aprecate it.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hey Nick,

Welcome to Cheftalk.

I think you will find some valuable insights here.

Take a peek at the students forum and scroll around. You will find many similar questions and "Career changers"

Joined Oct 13, 2001
My only advice now would be to find a good kitchen ( not a chain ) to work for with a good chef and keep quite and learn . The best attributes you can have now is a desire to learn and a willingness to work hard , very hard my friend. This is our life as chefs . Get a good foundation and then you can grow .
Peace and good luck . Doug .................

Joined Oct 28, 1999
...that's an excellent start!

I would like to add what Cape and Doug mentioned, if I may...

READ! Read anything and everything related to food, kitchens, ingredients, technique, even some management material. Poke around the cook book review section of the main page as well the Cook Book section in the forums. Read magazines, brochures, menus, anything. It is all insight that will help you build your knowledge-base.

And don't be afraid to ask away; there are many fine cooks and learned folks within this community that are ready to throw you a line.
All the best in your endeavor!

Joined Jun 13, 2003
actually already reading everything i can. Currently reading a book that is called The making of a Chef, to make sure i want to go to cullenary school. But actually before they did a update to their website at kendral college you could log into their system as a guest and look at the hands out for the classes and the main book all the classes use is a book called oncooking, i got that plus got the professional chef whish is the book the cia use plus got the onfod and cooking book, plus on top of all the got :cooking essentials for the new professional chef.
which should keep me busy for a while

Joined Oct 28, 1999
On Cookingis the textbook I use with my students. There is also a companion CD-rom with it. See if you can track it down; it is a huge help with managing the recipes within the book, as well as having some nice tutorials.

Joined Jun 13, 2002
Hey Nick,

Kendall College in Chicago is NOT a bad school. I've spoken with them several times, and they've generally been very enthusiastic about their placement and educational programs.

If you really want to know more about the restaurant business, wander some of the pages at the website the I built , and you'll be certain to see a lot of very helpful information. Be sure to check out the "Restaurant Reality Check," as well as the pages we have for students and educators

Good luck to you,

Eric

Joined Jun 13, 2003
ok i am lost, cant find the reality check portion. Also anyone know of any resturants anywhere near rockford that hire people with very little experenice like me? Only places around here i can find are places like machine shed, ground round, dennys, and etc. Ok places to learn at but none of them are hiring, and yes i am still filling out a app, at them just in case they lose someone and need to hire.
I am willing to drive up to 2 hours if i have to, havent gone that far out yet, thow.
Ok found it didnt see the search dont know how i missed it. As homer would say "doh"

Joined Jun 13, 2002
Here you go, Nick: Restaurant Reality Check

Nick, there's a chain in Chicago called Leona's. They might be a good place for you to get your feet wet. Good traffic, and the food is not beyond super cuisine. I would think it might be a good place to start....

Still the best of wishes,

Eric

Joined Jun 13, 2003
Thanks for the link i actually found it. toke me a bit cause the resturant reality check is typed as resturant "reality check" so didnt hit right.
also is thier a website for that resturant? So i can find out more info about it.

Joined Jun 13, 2003
**** none within less then 1.5 hours away, well i will start aplplying that direction trying to get one closer. And when i get out that far will apply with them. Thanks
Just hope i can find one, keeps going like this i am going to find a resturant and chain all thier doors shut till they hire me :D

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Sorry to hear you live in Rockford. Forget Rockford, head to Lake Geneva for work :)

Kuan

Latest posts

Top Bottom