Want some l,t,p,o with that burger?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Feb 1, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    For the first time today I saw a menu where the burger description was something like: 

Bacon Burger (1/3lbs angus beef, cheddar, bacon, l,t,p,o)

I had never seen that before and while I didn't have to think too long to understand "l, t", it took me a few more seconds to guess what "p, o" meant. 

Just wondering: is that a pretty standard description, or was the restaurant just assuming everyone would know what those initials mean? 

2. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    I'm a burger fan and the meaning of the letters popped right out, BUT I would think some people would ask what it means.  It would not be a good description of the toppings IMHO.

3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Does it stand for lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion <_<. 

I eat burgers, kinda standard topping i assume, but it took me 5 seconds to figure it out. 

At a restaurant i would confirm what those letters meant, the waiter would most likley respond in a snarky manner, thinking im an idiot for confirming something that seems obvious and would lose his tip... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I don´t think it´s smart to have that on a menu. It would save time, and be more simple just listing the full names of things. 

4. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    How about some FF with that? lol  I had to think about the Pickle for a bit.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the restaurant and catering business, at least at places I've worked, we use that designation quite a bit, but it was always back-of-house talk, not something that was put on a menu.  Mostly used it in catering where LTPO referred to a platter of those condiments placed on a sandwich buffet, as in, "Hey Joe, the buffet is getting hit hard, send out another tray of meat and an LTPO!"

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ah cool I didn't realize it came from the back of house lingo. 

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Was actually used at the McDonalds I worked at back in the early 80's, same thing back in the kitchen.