Walmart Anugs Beef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, May 26, 2019.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Anyone shop Walmart grocery, i have found their angus beef products to be pretty good. I realy like their angus burgers, 16 for $15+ and angus roasts are my go to ones. I'm talking fresh not frozen meats and remember not everyone has a neighborhood farm to buy meat from. Chicken or pork haven't found any type to search for just generic to me. Fish don't get difference between fresh over farmed, farmed water is controlled while wild is swimming in dirty ocean. Bacon has really gotten bad, no flavor in store brands but i have found 1 i like Boar's Head is only I'll buy. Had Burger's Smokehouse but not a big deal, had sample pack way over priced. I bought franks Nathan's an Vienna Beef but recently started to buy natural casing in both brands, they are the only franks to buy worth the extra cost.
    l will never buy Kraft cheese products again only cheeder cheese slices or blocks and shredding it myself. I like Kerrygold which is available at BJs & Costco and only brand of Italian cheese BelGioioso is my brand, polly-o is crap.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've bought whole cryovac packer brisket there; sometimes tongue when they have it. That's the limit of my walmart beef experience.

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Watch for it being pumped with salt water... I find it to be tasteless but I am used to grass fed beef flavor...

4. Innocuous Lemon

Innocuous Lemon

Exp:
    fair bit
    Sorry but i need to veer off topic a moment. If im puzzing together your post correctly, you are stating that farmed is preferable to wild. This is objectively wrong on multiple accounts.

farmed salmon are invariably fed growth hormones. farmed fish are often overfarmed and overpopulated. cramped, fatty, lethargic, and riddled with ingrown diseases and parasites for which there are no available solutions other than for the farmers to throw in vast quantities of antibiotics. The parasites which run rampant among farmed fish populations are actually endangering stream and ocean fish as the massive population boom afforded by their captive, overcrowded prey causes them to become increasingly prevalent.

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Why would you say that, I'm not talking the dollar store. Walmart has a well respected grocery store section and stand alone stores called Neighborhood Markets selling the same foods found in other stores. if what you said was true should be easy to test for so maybe this site should do testing on meat bought from supermarkets, warehouse and Walmart and compair.

6. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    [="Innocuous Lemon, post: 599597, member: 97320"]Sorry but i need to veer off topic a moment. If im puzzing together your post correctly, you are stating that farmed is preferable to wild. This is objectively wrong on multiple accounts.

farmed salmon are invariably fed growth hormones. farmed fish are often overfarmed and overpopulated. cramped, fatty, lethargic, and riddled with ingrown diseases and parasites for which there are no available solutions other than for the farmers to throw in vast quantities of antibiotics. The parasites which run rampant among farmed fish populations are actually endangering stream and ocean fish as the massive population boom afforded by their captive, overcrowded prey causes them to become increasingly prevalent.[/QUOTE]

I heard these same clames made against all food industry, none of them are good all evil. I'm sure some have no respect for the craft but i don't think all do. I'm sure lot of strange things are floating & swimming around in the ocean being eaten by the fish other that fossil fuels.

7. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Farm raised fish tend to look different and taste different than wild caught fish. If you are here asking our professional opinions on the matter, then, there you have it. Wild caught is better than farm raised. Here is a good picture that shows the visual difference. As far as flavor, there is no real comparison. Wild caught has a better flavor.

The ocean is still 10000% cleaner than the water used in the farming process.
    Wild-Vs-Farmed.png

drirene, fatcook and summer57 like this.
  8. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have to agree with @Innocuous Lemon and @sgsvirgil about farmed salmon. I love salmon, I live on the west coast where we know the difference between farmed and wild salmon, and we've also see how farmed Atlantic salmon can be a danger to our wild Pacific stocks. As a common bumper sticker around here says, Friends Don't Let Friends eat Farmed Salmon.

Keep in mind that farmed salmon is Atlantic salmon, which are quite different from Pacific salmon.

drirene and sgsvirgil like this.
  9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    @sgsvirgil , I don't think your photo is comparing identical cuts, but yes I'd say the is some difference in taste, even between farmed specimens. The farmed fish at Stop 'n Shop is bland in comparison with what Whole Foods supplies. In comparison farmed tends to be of mushier texture also. Still, farmed is quite good eating.

Used to be farmed would give me a belly ache, but I think they've improved the quality of feed over the years, at least the Norwegians have. Haven't eaten domestic farmed lately.

In the days when wild Atlantic salmon were relatively cheap I would have it about twice a week. I rarely eat any salmon these days. Could be due to the vibe summer57 intimates.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    From here that picture looks like Atlantic next to Pacific salmon. While Pacific salmon is difficult to get here, I like it better for its flavor. Dagger....your term "dirty ocean" is disturbing.
    You blatantly have now grouped all seafood and fish that swim as not good to eat because they live in a dirty ocean.

Has anyone ever seen a salmon farm?
    They are netted cages, usually in sheltered bays or Fiords.
    Atlantic salmon are the preferred species because they grow quickly.
    The salmon are free to swim around within this net. When they are old enough, they are released. The idea that the fish live in their own excrement, are crowded, and are full of mercury seems dubious at best.
    Can someone here clear this up?

11. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water

12. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Interesting how this thread went from Angus to Salmon . . . just sayin' Anyway Walmart is one of the few place to get Rumba brand Beef Cheeks and Ox tails.

chefross likes this.
  13. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Seriously? Are they decent meat and decently priced? I love both but have hard time getting decent meats at decent prices.

14. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Here's a decent article that dispels the myths about farm raised salmon. The only one I disagree with is the purported myth that farm raised salmon tastes different than wild caught salmon. They do not taste the same. The flavor of wild caught salmon is more robust. Anyone can go to their grocery store, purchase both wild caught and farm raised and do a comparison.

https://www.alltech.com/blog/farmed-vs-wild-busting-fishy-salmon-myths

15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I once saw a news story on farmed Tilapia and shrimp. Although I still eat them on rare occasion just the thought of their farm makes me wretch. I’d gladly eat a farmed salmon or oyster, though, because no matter the state of our oceans it’s probably cleaner than the farm ponds.

fatcook likes this.
  16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes Rumba is a widely sold brand and very good quality IMO. Walmart whole brisket is very reasonable price wise and very good quality. I like Walmart's Great Value bacon too for the money.

17. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest and don't buy any farmed fish. There is a Steelhead farm on the Columbia river that I tried once. I wanted to see the difference and I found the farmed to be of lesser quality. I know there's a lot of farmed catfish out there. I catch my own fish and just wait for what's biting to have a nice fresh fish dinner. This is my Son with a 8lb Walleye we got last week. The Walleye meat is a large flake pure white. It doesn't get much fresher than this and it shows in the taste.

Attached Files:

drirene likes this.
  18. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I saw something on tv long time ago that said just not enough wild fish to feed everyone so farm fish is here to stay. I had great value bacon, didn't care for it had no flavor. When my local store has 5 for $20 buy all Boar's Head, thick cut and really good. Haven't tried Costco's bacon sold in meat case around $20 - $25 pack.

19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    farmed fish in the most common system is also unsustainable. The Pacific anchovie and mackerel are in decline that are the protein base of most farmed fish. There are some land based protien fed fish farms now too which do it better.

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I’d say that if you don’t have access to a nearby farm to get food the next logical step would not be Walmark. I don’t have access to a farm either. But I do have access to farmers markets, local butchers, fish mongers, and grocery stores. I know not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford good food but I feel strongly about who I give my money to and I prefer to give it to local businesses.

I think if all you can afford is farmed salmon then it’s better than no salmon at all. There’s no question about the difference in taste though. One of the most important lessons I’ve learned in life is that you get what you pay for.

rezajito, drirene and fatcook like this.