Waitress/Cook thoughts

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefclaycollins, Aug 15, 2002.

1. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why do waitresses have to be such a pain in the @$$! I'm not talking about all of them (I married one after all), but every once in a while a real gem comes around. I have the unfortunate luck of having the gem get her younger brother and sister a job with her, so know there's 3 of them.

Just wanted ot ask a couple of questions to other cooks out there:

Is there servers like this EVERY WHERE?

How do you all deal with them?

Do servers in your restaurants ACTUALLY know what's gong on?

I beginning to think that I'm the victim of a crappy floor manager that doesn't know how to hire.

Thanks for any thought's

This is helping me vent, could you tell!

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't have the time to go into it now, but like everything, they are all over the place. Doesn't matter where you go or where you work you will run into the most amazing morons!
    I worked at a fine dining restaurant in Alaska. Quite slow on winter Mondays. A friend of mine and his wife were in for a special off the menu dinner. Another couple were in the restaurant at the same time. 2 tables, 2 couples, one waitress. My mistake I put the food up at about the same time for both tables. She took a correct dish and an incorrect dish to each table. By the time I found out half were eaten and it was too late to correct it. When I started to flip out she replied like it was no big deal. I have never been closer to hitting someone over the head with a pan! Her name was VELDA in case you run into her! Run into her hard!!!:mad:

3. leo r.

leo r.

ChefClayCollins,i can assure you that there are awkward people EVERYWHERE!Here in London,i`ve seen some absolute howlers.There have been days when i thought i had been set up for a practical joke.
    There are as you say,a lot of waiters and waitresses who work very hard.They also make an effort to find out what it is they are serving and the contents of the item.
    If you let people annoy you,there is a risk of becoming a stereotype chef.This is a chef who is abusive,sarcastic and short-tempered.I know,i`ve worked for some!!Some establishments employ these people without checking their references or their cv.WHY?? :rolleyes:
    I recently met one "waiter",i use that term loosely,who had two major faults.
    1)i don`t think he`s heard of deodorant,he had a serious B.O. problem.
    2)He was as fast as a tortoise on valium.
    It`s rear-ends like this who make life hard for the rest of us.The worst bit is they get paid for doing so little
    :mad: Leo.

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have in my experience had the fortunate opportunity to work with first-rate waitstaff. I say that politely because like any other occupation, the really good people command respect regardless of the task they perform. If you are lucky enough to hire a good or better waitstaff, LET THEM TRAIN EVERYBODY ELSE IF YOU HAVE TO! If anything else observe them and learn what you can. One of the big problems in foodservice is the attitude that because jobs like waiting and bussing can be entry-level positions that there isn't much differentiation between restaurants. I see SOOOO many unqualified people apply for work at my restaurant with really no clue about what the work really entails, even though they have "waiting" and "cooking" experience. I have also seen some "floor managers" who were "real idiots"- i.e. seeming incapable of seating people and crowd control or that hire waitstaff that "look good".
    BTW, I do wait tables regularly and can tell you that it is possible to be knowlegeble about what the restaurant sells and why I am there...... LMAO!!

5. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well, I've got one waitress who will ring in a table of 8 and then not understand why all her plates for that table aren't ready simultaneuosly. other waitress' yell at the kitchen if the food takes 'too long', or if theres even the slightest error, but it's not just yelling, they pretty much act as though they sign our paychecks. but for the most part the servers are pretty good, if you get the ones who haven't made a career of serving, and 'know how everything should be run'. heck, one time I had a server tell me that I wasn't cooking the eggs properly.

6. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To be honest, I think that for the most part, most of the servers that come through my restaurant really don't have a clue what's going on in life. Let alone, when they go to work. I was just commenting on the fact that most college age people could go out and make more money than most of my staff, with little to no experience what so ever.

I am so tired of putting a special up in the window for the wait staff to try, only to be greated by "YUK, or No way!" Not even a question, about what it is or where it came from!

I think that most wait staff will go on to lead very successful lives as used car sales people complete with bad hair cuts and butterfly collars! Don't get me wrong there are a few out there that really care about what's going on, and I do everything to make the most out of them, but what's wrong with this profession?

Did servers 50 years ago act this way?

What can I do to make this better, after all they ARE representing MY food to the customer? Any ideas?

7. leo r.

leo r.

ChefClayCollins,you really do have my sympathy.I know it`s hard trying to communicate with someone who seems to have an I.Q.that`s lower than their shoe size.:rolleyes:
    Unfortunately,we are to a certain extent,stuck with them.Some people appear to lack common sense or motivation.If they are unhappy with their lives,why don`t they go and do something about it?
    I am very,very lucky as most of the service staff where i work are superb.They will concisely but politely report any waiter or waitress is useless to a senior manager.The reliable staff point out that the offending person is being paid.They then rightly ask,why should this person be paid when some one else is doing their work?
    Once this happens,the shirker will be going home very quickly.One waitress i saw this week had the personality of a sea sponge.There was also a waiter who came a close second.I`ve also met windbags who claim to be qualified chefs who are beyond belief.Great actors/actresses but i wouldn`t trust them to do toast!!
    Don`t the them get you down,Leo.:chef:

8. snakelady1

snakelady1

When I was in charge of a fine dining restaurant we had daily meetings with the wait staff informing them of specials making them try it so that they could convey this to thier customers....however there was a waitress who truly pissed me off .....her plates truly were too hot to handle her attitude corrected itself after a few burns.....

9. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Great responses , this really brings back some memories .
    Hot plates , yeah Ive been there . My worst was this battle ax waitress at a truck stop coffee shop who had to show she was the boss . We used to get Busses on the way to Yellowstone National Park and you literally got 50 to 100 orders all at once .
    1 cook and 1 dishwasher if lucky . Well I was the cook and this battle ax hit the window with a bad attitude and demanded a ticket that was 3 minutes from being finished . Her words were give me this ticket now . I imedietly took all the food and asembled it on the plates and gave it to her in its state of un doness . Man was she fit to be tied , I told her that maybe she should watch what came out of her mouth and that if she wanted more food I sugested that she hang another check as I had allready filled her order per her request and was working on the other tickets . Well she tromps off to the manager who I dont really think liked her that much and he told her that maybe she should watch what she asks for .
    Man was that some satisfaction . Mean people really are walking bulls eyes for me now as I have zero tolerence for that behavior in this biz . Peace to all , Doug