Waiter with skills ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by petalsandcoco, Sep 12, 2011.

1. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Waiter with Skills 

Don't know what to make of this really....../img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't know whether to be impressed or frightened.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    That was how I felt when I saw it.....

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's almost an oxymoron......

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Naw, wait person, no skill necessary is the oxymoron /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

As far as service goes, the absolute best experience I've ever had was in 1965, too long ago to clearly remember the name of the restaurant, overlooking Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, Honeymoon dinner, greeted by name, my Father was a regular, fabulous meal and, after we ordered, we never saw or heard the wait staff, bread basket always full, drinks always refreshed, no further verbal intercourse with the wait staff, everything timed perfectly, ah yes, IIRC The Franciscan!

6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the new training video perhaps? i think it's actually pretty amazing....just kept thinking the whole time, what would be his reaction if a fly flew up his nose on the way to the table!!!

joey

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I give up. I can't carry two plates on one arm much less carry some dozen cups of coffee in one hand. It's like that brick carrying guy video, this guy stacks 12-16 cinderblock looking bricks on his head and walks down a narrow plank off  a barge. Makes me feel shameful for wanting a wheelbarrow.

8. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I worked at a dinner theater place long ago where the waiters would try to out do each other to see who could carry the most dinners out. They used trays but still could stack 16 dinners (with lids that interlocked) and hold the tray with their fingertips only.

9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Amazing the things you see.....

I found another one...now this guy does not even look where he is tossing it....

Again, don't know what to say....

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Best service I ever had was in France where a waiters proffession is not a job .It's a proffession one stays in and perfects over the years.   Her in the states it's a joke. Hi I am so andd so and I'll be your server now what do you want to drink.  2 guest eating and ordering  and when food comes out they don't even give right food to correct person , Thank God there is not 3 people. Serve burgers without catsup on table, or steak without steak knife or steak sauce.v Dirty booth or chairs. Having  to ask fo more water. Then asking how is everything.?  They should win ACADEMY  AWARDS  for imitating waiters and waitresses. And are  we supposed  tip for this??????

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    One more for .....

Damn this guy can Cook!

I am not sure what to think....but can you imagine this guy in New York ? Maybe not yielding that cleaver....but just to watch him perform, he is a band all on his own.

Petals.

12. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
  13. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This one is slow, but efficient. And no, it's not a Nakiri.

14. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That video shows the slicing and plating for the first "way" of "[Beijing] Duck, Three Ways."  The following two ways are a bean sprout salad, lightly sauteed in duck fat with a tiny bit of meat from the carcass; and a very gentle and comforting duck soup.   We get our Duck Three Ways from a place called "Beijing Duck House" in Rosemead (in the SGV, not too far from Pasadena) on Rosemead Blvd., where it's carved the same way, if not quite so quickly and not quite to the same thin perfection.  But, darn close. 

Another difference between the video restaurant's presentation is that at Beijing Duck House if you've got round eyes you've got to fight like heck to get them to give you the head.  Racial profiling [sigh], oh well.

Beijing duck this way always makes me laugh at Scott Conant's expense.  During an episode of chopped he advised a contestant that during he (Scott) had been to China many times and that real Beijing duck was just the skin. Oy.

Not to go off on a tangent, but a similar moment of webbed foot in bill had Marc Murphy, another regular Chopped judge, telling an Hispanic competitor who did a take on chilaquiles that he (Marc) ate chilaquiles many times, and that her (the competitor's) chilaquiles were "soggy, but 'authentic' chilaquiles" are always served crisp.  

BDL

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  15. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I may need a post coital smoke after watching that.

Dave

16. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
  17. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Next time a guest sends back the clams because they're too salty you can always feign ignorance.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

18. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Just thought I would share the precision this chef has with a knife. For a sushi chef , it must have taken years to cut to that degree.

Petals.