Vietnamese Tomato Pineapple Sauce??

Joined Sep 10, 2016
Had a lovely thin red sauce over tofu at a southeast Asian vegetarian restaurant, it was fresh and sweet and I imagined it was a tomato pineapple sauce. So, I thought a quick google search would yield recipes. No luck. So I tried to recreate it, I pureed tomato and pineapple, added some brown sugar and rice vinegar, and realized... I was basically making a pineapple tomato gastrique, lol. My sauce is nice, but much different than I what I had originally experienced, mine is orange (obviously, red tomato + yellow pineapple lol) and is thicker, but that could be due to adding cornstarch. Anyways, does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a sort of tomato pineapple sauce in southeast Asian cuisine that I'm not aware of? Any leads are appreciated, and hey, could also discuss gastrique while we're at it, this experimentation led me to making a honey and rice vinegar gastrique and wow! how was I not using gastrique before?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Can't really help, but I think you might get in the right direction with the use of fish sauce and maybe some lime leaves? And lime juice.

Joined Sep 10, 2016
thanks, yes, I didn't mention it but I finished the sauce with lime juice, which was really nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom