Viennese Tortes

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by fbacker, Sep 25, 2003.

1. fbacker

fbacker

Hello!

I'm a food writer and former chef, and I have a background in Austro-Hungarian baking among other things.

I'm working on a book about Viennese baking, and there are two torten I *really* want to include, both of which are the respective specialities of two Viennese cafés:

One is the famous Imperial Torte, much better (in my opinion)than the over-hyped Sacher Torte. It's a specialty of the Imperial in Vienna.

The other is a marvellous torte served by Café Gerstner, unsurprisingly named Gerstner Torte.

I've searched the 'Net (via Google) for either recipes or accurate descriptions of both, but all I get are sales sites or photos, no real descriptions, much less recipes.

Has anyone out there either eaten these torten or has knowledge of a source for the recipes--even an approximation (Obviously, I know enough about Austro-Hungarian baking techniques to 'wing it')?

I'd be most grateful for any advice.

2. djr5

djr5

Hello,Wolfgang Puck made this torte on his food tv show, and the recipe was on there web site, the episode #WP1B12 hope this helps.

djr5

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Larousse Gastronomique doesn't mention the Imperial torte but I guess that you must have checked that :)

Have you searched the web for "Viennoiserie" although I am not sure that tortes belong to this category...

4. isa

isa

Couldn't find anything on it, not even in my Austrian books. Do you speak German? There seem to be many references of it in German website.