Venison Foreleg?

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Have a venison Foreleg to play with.

I've cooked venison before and my go-tos are salt, pepper, juniper berries, chili peppers, garlic, and cumin.

I'm looking for ideas on technique. How would you do it?

Thx!

Thx

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Seriously my go to method is to season it, cover it and slow cook it in the oven. Then pull, or slice there are so many muscle groups you'd be hours trying to clean it for anything else but for grind. It's one of my favorite parts of the deer to be honest and so over looked IMO.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Apparently Kudu and Impala are both sold as "venison" in your neck of the woods.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
How big is it?

I would bone it out...nice bigger muscles would get chunked and braised in a stew or chili type something. Bone for stock, for the stew or chili. The rest I would turn into grind and make sausage, or patties for sliders or burgers. (you would need to add fat to this mix)

If you're feeling adventurous you could try a prosciutto type cure on it. Might not be the best idea if it's super lean (which it probably is)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
By the time you cut the scapular and the femur out you have a lot of little muscle groups maybe one small roast. DNR doesn't advise using the bones because of CWD (chronic wasting disease) I used to, but not anymore as it's carried in the prions in the spinal chord. The jury is still out on marrow, but hey - why poke the bear right?

Joined Aug 15, 2003
By the time you cut the scapular and the femur out you have a lot of little muscle groups maybe one small roast. DNR doesn't advise using the bones because of CWD (chronic wasting disease) I used to, but not anymore as it's carried in the prions in the spinal chord. The jury is still out on marrow, but hey - why poke the bear right?

Ah, that's good info. I'm assuming that's only for wild Venison? I assumed we were talking about farm raised Venison, but I probably shouldn't have.

I also didn't realize it was a FOREleg, somehow my brain processed that it was just a "leg" so I was picturing a hind leg.

Joined Sep 17, 2018

Yeah, but man is the neck tasty when you slow roast it.

Joined May 5, 2010
I bone it out then season, tie and slow roast.
I stew the neck and it is amazing.
Venison fore shank has a small chuck tenderloin that is as good as any filet mignon.
The shank itself braises the same as lamb .
Ever hear of venison Osso Bucco?
I also fabricate fore shank steaks from the femur.

Many guys here will simply take the back strap and tenderloins then grind the rest. So sad cause they're missing out on a lot of good eating.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I cook the shanks like Osso Bucco and I agree about "most guys" they simply overlook the whole animal for what it has potential for.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I stew the neck and it is amazing.
Venison fore shank has a small chuck tenderloin that is as good as any filet mignon.
The shank itself braises the same as lamb .
Ever hear of venison Osso Bucco?
I also fabricate fore shank steaks from the femur.

Many guys here will simply take the back strap and tenderloins then grind the rest. So sad cause they're missing out on a lot of good eating.
Yeah, I went as far as trying to make ribs but the yield was not particularly good lol.

Joined Jan 8, 2006
neck, legs and such are for the grinder. I use those bits for sausage and burger. Wild Venison is plentiful here, so the tenderloins and back straps are what I cook most often.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My friend you are missing out on some low and slow magic. When a foreleg is slow baked and ready to pull it's a real treat - beats pulled pork all to hell.

Joined Aug 7, 2013
So, then...

I broke the Foreleg down into it's three parts and dry rubbed with a local brisket rub. I browned those on the flat-top.

I made a mirepoix of onions, celery, and carrots, along with peppers, dried guajillo, and garlic. After the onions were translucent, I added tomato paste and browned it, then deglazed with a 19 Crimes Red (Snoop Dogg edition). I then added water to cover and simmered for two hours.
Venison Virria. It was gorgeous and delicious!
Thank you all for your input. It gave me a lot to consider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom