Venezuelan pulled beef ?

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Could anyone share a recipe for Venezuelan pulled beef? I started making Arepas need something to stuff them with?

Joined Jun 7, 2021
This is called carne mechadaled , and is traditionally made with flank, or skirt steak.. Those cuts, tough as they are, have become popular, and can be pricey. So I make my version with chuck roast. Just understand that unless cooking under pressure, this takes about three hours to make.

Ingredients;
3 lb. chuck roast (extra can be portioned, and frozen)
2 tbs. Kosher salt
1 tbs. coarse-grind black pepper
1 tbs. ground cumin
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. coriander seed
1 large onion, minced
2 tbs. minced garlic
19 oz. whole, canned tomatoes, chopped into chunks
3 cups water
3 tbs. beef tallow, or cooking oil

Heat heavy Dutch oven, or pressure cooker until oil is hot. Season all sides of roast with salt, and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in the tallow, or oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Remove the roast from the pot. Add minced onion and garlic. Cook for three minutes, stirring until onion is translucent. Place the roast back into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Bing to low boil, and cover. If using a Dutch oven. place into a 325' F. oven, and cook for three hours. If using a pressure cooker, cook at 12 lb. setting for 1 hour.

Remove roast from the oven, or release the pressure from the PC. Transfer meat to a platter, and shred wit 2 forks. Mix in any fat, onions, and tomato pieces, as it improves the flavor and mouthfeel. Save the broth for future use. Add sufficient broth to the shredded beef to make it juicy. Use to fill areppos, burritos, tamales, tacos, enchiladas, etc. Serve with fresh sliced avocados, and ripe black olives.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Jun 7, 2021
This is called carne mechadaled , and is traditionally made with flank, or skirt steak.. Those cuts, tough as they are, have become popular, and can be pricey. So I make my version with chuck roast. Just understand that unless cooking under pressure, this takes about three hours to make.

Ingredients;
3 lb. chuck roast (extra can be portioned, and frozen)
2 tbs. Kosher salt
1 tbs. coarse-grind black pepper
1 tbs. ground cumin
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. coriander seed
1 large onion, minced
2 tbs. minced garlic
19 oz. whole, canned tomatoes, chopped into chunks
3 cups water
3 tbs. beef tallow, or cooking oil

Heat heavy Dutch oven, or pressure cooker until oil is hot. Season all sides of roast with salt, and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in the tallow, or oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Remove the roast from the pot. Add minced onion and garlic. Cook for three minutes, stirring until onion is translucent. Place the roast back into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Bing to low boil, and cover. If using a Dutch oven. place into a 325' F. oven, and cook for three hours. If using a pressure cooker, cook at 12 lb. setting for 1 hour.

Remove roast from the oven, or release the pressure from the PC. Transfer meat to a platter, and shred wit 2 forks. Mix in any fat, onions, and tomato pieces, as it improves the flavor and mouthfeel. Save the broth for future use. Add sufficient broth to the shredded beef to make it juicy. Use to fill areppos, burritos, tamales, tacos, enchiladas, etc. Serve with fresh sliced avocados, and ripe black olives.

If this was made in an enameled cast iron Dutch oven, you could use this for this month's challenge.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
You could also simply cut into pieces that fit he pa, Proceed as per directions. Shred wit forks. Oh, and I misspelled the dish due to a typo. It's actually - Carne Mechada, and also includes red sweet pepper chunks in the recipe. I accidentally omitted that ingredient (I'm just smart enough to make mistakes).

Latest posts

Top Bottom