Vendor input/involvement?

Joined Oct 9, 2017
Opinions plse - salesman for vendor seems to be fully integrated into this place I've been for 3 months. Personally, I prefer an online app and a guy you can ask questions if needed- but I hate pushy, I can't stand wasting time listening to them try to trick you into buying something you know you don't need. But since the owners have no clue about restaurant business they rely on this place for everything. Thing is owner goes behind my back to confirm that what I'm ordering is legit- as in finding less expensive alternatives for some things. Or any other suggestions . The US food guy basically runs the show- the owner listens to him over me? Is this insane?

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I could see how this would drive you crazy. I also didn't like Salesman coming in taking up an hour of my time. I really like the online order system with me able to browse through their system and look for better or cheaper alternatives. The owner likes this because it gives him control and the Salesman loves it because the owner sucks up the attention.
I've had all kinds of Salespeople coming to my places. If your salesperson wants to get the order from you then just hand him the filled out order form and let him/her punch in the order. Tell them you don't have time to sit and chat. If he/she has any special items or closeout items that they think you may be interested then shoot you an email. Even though the owner is involved doesn't mean "you" can't control the salespeople........Good luck.........

Last edited:
Joined Sep 26, 2017
Is the owner getting freebies from the salesman?

At a place I used to work, this one supplier sold really crappy vegetables (often dirty and rotten), but the owner continued to support them, because the salesman always brought him watermelons every time he came.

Joined Oct 9, 2017
Well today the big insult was owner brought something from supplier to observe dinner to gives tips and suggestions on how to be more efficient- which is what I was hired for and have done a damned good job so far- but the twist? It backfired- guy agreed with me ! He backed up everything I've been saying, acknowledged that a terrible layout, large menu and antiquated equipment, giant dining area were all major factors and not due to bad cooks- it was awesome.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
today the big insult was owner brought something from supplier to observe dinner to gives tips and suggestions on how to be more efficient

I love how you call the guy "something". LOL.

I agree that someone that doesn't have the decency to decline the invitation by your owner to come and intrude on your job doesn't deserve any respect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom