Veggie spray

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do you use a spray to wash your veggies?  I made one a few weeks ago using water, white vinegar and a little baking soda in a spray bottle.  But now it's starting to smell like it's gone bad.  Did it go bad?  What is a better veggie spray I can make at home?

2. roritacandy

roritacandy

Exp:
    At home cook
     I've never even heard of such a spray to be honest. Is there a huge difference between that spray and washing them simply with water?

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm sure many people would think that washing with water is enough.  But when I eat vegetables raw I like to give them a careful wash, especially leafy greens.  Vinegar does a very good job at cleaning vegetables.  

I threw out my vinegar/baking soda solution yesterday because it smelled off.  But I do have a cleaning solution that I've made by steeping orange and lemon rinds in white vinegar.  I use this solution to clean my counter tops and even my stove (works great).  So I spritzed it on my veggies yesterday for lack of anything else haha.

4. roritacandy

roritacandy

Exp:
    At home cook
    Interesting! Never thought of the possibility to wash veggies that way. But I might want to try that out!

5. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    the vinegar and baking soda react, foaming and making carbon dioxide.  not sure what the left over product would be, but funky smells is not out of the question.