vegetarian thickener for soup which doesn't depend on fat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Tim Dedula, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Tim Dedula

Tim Dedula

Exp:
    Cooking enthusiast
    Hello All;
    I am looking for ways to thicken soup without the use or presence of fat. I am making a 100% fat free soup for health reasons. Would cornstarch work ? or flour? or guar gum? Or how about xanthan gum. or anything else you can think of ?

Anyone have any suggestions ? I could experiment but I am trying to get some ideas that I know will work to avoid risking ruining my soup. Thanks.

Tim

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You should puree some of the soup and add it back in. Pureed vegetables work wonderfully to thicken soup.

And yes, slurry of cornstarch or flour would also work. No reason to use gums unless you feel like it, but those would work as well.

CP852 and drirene like this.
  3. Tim Dedula

Tim Dedula

Exp:
    Cooking enthusiast
    Thanks, someday;
    I hadn't thought about pureeing some vegetables. I can see how that would do the trick. May try that, or possibly a slurry of cornstarch.

Thanks so much.

Tim

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I definitely second the suggestion to puree part of the soup and add it back in. I've also used potato to thicken soups. Place a whole peeled potato to cook inside the soup then remove it along with broth and puree it before adding it back in.

5. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Xanthan gum is perfect. Put your hot liquid in a pan, turn on the immersion blender, and gently shake in the xanthan gum powder. Stop when you like the consistency. Temperature barely matters.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Definitely agree with pureeing some of it and back in. Another option not mentioned is to pull some of the broth out, use it to cook rice, puree, and back in.

brianshaw likes this.
  7. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Cornstarch all the way. It's what the father of French sauce making would have used.

8. Tim Dedula

Tim Dedula

Exp:
    Cooking enthusiast
    WOW, so many good ideas. Thanks much, all. I'll give them all a try and see what i like better.

Tim