vegetables after making stock?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by david scruggs, Dec 21, 2012.

1. david scruggs

david scruggs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This weekend I plan on making a vegetable stock for the first time. I was just curious, and I've seen all sorts of suggestions for what to do with the vegetables after the stock is made. What I'm wondering is how much flavor should I legitimately expect out of the vegetables? I'm just trying to plan out a second use for the veggies so they're not bought solely for making stock (that's the cheapskate in me, I suppose). Thanks for any input on this :)

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is a case of saving for nothing, cause veggies for stock are so cheap, but if you insist, you can try a purée, a salad, may be a  tortilla.

3. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Compost pile! 

If you don't have one, maybe you know someone who does?

4. david scruggs

david scruggs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    sounds like i'm trying to squeeze a little extra water from the rock. oh well, it was worth asking about I suppose. I don't have a compost pile but after we get done moving, I will most likely be starting one. Thanks!

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have to say David, when I make any type of stock, I sieve the solids out for the broth and then I sieve the veggies through to be added to  soup.  The garlic cloves and carrots in particular are great, not so much the celery, that I pitch out.  Just me, but they seem to thicken and make the soup a bit tastier.

6. hozz

hozz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Starch-y vegetables can indeed be reused as stated above, as a thickening agent for your end product. No need to throw them out, they will have absorbed at least a bit of the flavour from your stock as well as adding to it. Try puréing them with a bit of creme fraiche for a dip or condiment. Or throw a few eggs in there, blitz and use in some sort of veggie pie. Plenty of options, your imagination is the only limit :)