Vegetable Knife?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by FNCrazy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hilarious Rich.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    P.S. I’m one of those people Benuser mentioned earlier - have a nakiri but rarely use it. Looks cool but is my least favorite knife in 50 years of cooking

benuser likes this.
  3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A nikiri was actually the very first Japanese knife I ever saw. It was 40 years ago, and the the equally young recent college grad who owned it handle it with reverence as he showed it to me, pointing to an onion and saying how amazing what it could do with it. Carbon steel and no more than 7", thin spine and tapering to what seemed the thickness of a hair before it got very near to the edge. I still remember it vividly and how impressed I was.

Such a nakiri would certainly get used, though perhaps a shun, wusty or even Tojiro one might soon become drawer queens. Then maybe not. In any event I'd still favor my Takamura gyuto over the nikiri. Works as well as the nikiri for everything except maybe Katsurumaki (making vegetable skin), and lots more versatile. No need to put it down and grab for another knife.

Actually you can get around not having a tip for most everything, but do you really want the challenge?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    benuser likes this.
  4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Getting back to FNCrazy, who should most likely be looking at a 240 gyuto, any idea what kind of steel you want? Laser or middleweight (little more toughness and forgivingness).