Vegan Meringues

Joined Mar 16, 2017
I've been trying to perfect my vegan meringues but always find my recipe isn't quite right. I use 120g of liquid to 125g of sugar & 1/2tsp vinegar to stabilize. They pipe up nice perky kisses but as they cook they deflate halfway almost to a cookie. Any tips, should I increase/decrease my sugar? I keep the house at a fairly good humidity as well. Curious also, my normal meringues always have a nice chew to the inside however my vegan ones are always crispy throughout, is this the norm?

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Ive tried that also :( I think it has something to do with the sugar? I just can't get the ratio right. I will try again today and reduce the sugar a bit and use cream of tarter and see if it helps!! Thanks chef!

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I noticed your ratio of liquid to sugar is 96%, I usually go more like 75%, you might try decreasing the liquid a tad.

Joined Mar 16, 2017
Update! The 75% ratio worked much better along with the cream of tartar. I still find they flatten much easier than egg white meringues however which I think has to do with the extracts added. Going to try adding the extracts to the sugar maybe to see if they incorporate a bit better[emoji]128077[/emoji]

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Glad to hear it! You could even play around with cutting the ratio to 60- 65% to help with keeping the structure better. Please keep us posted.

Top Bottom