Vegan glass cylinder tuile

Joined Jun 9, 2021
Hi chefs got a new vegan dish I’m working on but hit a wall with the tuile I am trying to make a fruit cylinder that is like glass when it breaks any one have a recipe I could try? raspberries is my flavor profile .

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Have you tried candy glass? White sugar (Florida Crystals is vegan), corn syrup, cream of tartar, and water.

Joined Jun 9, 2021
The issue with it it will slide off the cylinders that I’m using and really want it thin looking for something that’s pliable when warm to shape on the cylinders then they turn hard

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
The issue with it it will slide off the cylinders that I’m using and really want it thin looking for something that’s pliable when warm to shape on the cylinders then they turn hard
Is it possible to cast the sugar in thin sheets, then re-warm it to mold around your cylinders?

Another method with sugar is to mix granulated sugar with glucose syrup. You then roll out the mixture between two sheets of parchment, let it air dry for about an hour, then place in a 125F oven for about 12 minutes. Once cool, the sugar sheet is pliable and can be molded around a cylinder shape. I'm not sure how well it would shatter though.

I was also thinking you could do something with a pate de fruit in some way, but I don't think it would shatter like you want it to.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
You can also melt white sugar, and glucose over low heat, When liquefied, tale a metal tined come, and submerse the tines into the molten sugar, Remove the comb, and quickly swirl the dripping sugar strands around a lightly greased cylinder. Let cool and you will have glass threads that will easily break. This is a technique used to make the sugary web on a croquembouche. There are videos that show how.

If you want to get really adventurous, there are youtube videos on blowing sugar.

Just some more options.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYqw-rGc48&vl=en

Top Bottom