vegan buttercream troubleshooting

Joined Jul 18, 2019
It seems that lately everyone is wanting vegan buttercream. I have never had trouble with it until recently, and it's killing me. I'm making american buttercream with earth balance sticks at approximately 1 pt fat to 2 pt sugar, then adding in flavor. I've ceased adding any liquid after the first two times of dealing with it breaking. It is breaking after just a minute or two of beating, whereas American buttercream at the same ratios requires several minutes to reach full volume under the same conditions (save for the fact that with butter I am using 70~degrees butter, and earth balance is from the cooler), wherein I add cubed fat to sifted 10x and beat. I'm using a beater blade in a professional kitchenaid. I have also tried it in the food processor and reached the same greasy results.

My questions is, anyone else dealt with broken vegan buttercream? Anyone have a better recipe for one? I want to avoid palm oil, I would love to use coconut oil if it wouldn't just melt right off. I also want to convince people to not want vegan buttercream, but that's a whole other problem.

Joined Sep 15, 2019
I had the same problem particularly splitting in Australian heat in summer so I completely switched to making aquafaba 'meringue buttercream'. It's amazing in taste and texture. You whip the liquid from a can of chickpeas into stiff peaks and then add vegan butter. Perhaps coconut butter would work, I have not tried that.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
This is what works for me :

Take cashews, soak them in hot water for 15-20 mins, drain and put into a blender—not a food processor, a blender. Blend, add warm( liquid) coconut fat, coconut milk if you like, and sweetener. Maple syrup will darken it, I refuse to use stevia, monk fruit sugar is good—doesn’t darken much, theoretically you could use corn syrup, or whatever. Blend the ( deleted) out of it, and it will be smooth and rich. Give it some time to firm upon the fridge and you’re food to go. I guess you could sub cocoa butter for coconut fat, but it’s a lot more expensive.

Top Bottom