veal stock

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by yana shvarts, Apr 15, 2016.

1. yana shvarts

yana shvarts

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi,

Why is veal stock so hard to come by? Hit a few butcher shops in Brooklyn, which offer fresh chicken and beef stock, but no veal. Even the variety that comes in a cardboard box is hard to come by. What's the beef with the veal?

Y

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Probably low demand in the market place. If it doesn't move, they won't stock it.  Ask vendors who carry other products in the brand you like to order some in for you.  They probably still won't stock it all the time, but many stores will help you out with special orders. 

In the mean time, Look for More than Gourmet  veal base at Amazon. It's not cheap but the quality is quite good.

I'm close by a specialty vendor (www.gygi.com) who usually has these in stock if I need it on a whim. You might find a vendor locally too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    chefjonbailey likes this.
  3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We actually have an excellent article on how to make it yourself. 

One thing you might consider is finding a local chef and asking if you can purchase some directly that would be my suggestion.

4. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Very few people eat veal, so it makes sense the butcher shops wouldn't have it. Get some knuckles and make your own.

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I love veal as it's a blank canvas.  Veal breast used to be so cheap they'd almost give away.  

My Breast of Veal:

Trim

Bone (use for stock)

Season

Make a stuffing

Roll

truss

Roast

Enjoy!!

6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's soooooo good. I used to run it as a special regularly, stuffed with spinach & feta, roasted with rosemary. Served a nice thick slice on the bone with a veloute from the pan drippings & chicken stock.