Veal Stock

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jenni belle, Jul 21, 2005.

1. jenni belle

jenni belle

A friend of mine gave me some veal stock. Any ideas of something special I could do with it?

I know I could substitute it for beef broth, but I was hoping someone could come up with something really creative for me!!! Suggestions?

2. markv

markv

The uses for stock are endless:

1) a base for a zillion pan sauces
    2) a base for soup
    3) for numerous braises & stews
    4) a fluid base for some rice/bean/ and other grain dishes
    5) marinades

At a restaurant I once worked, the chef mixe din some veal stock to his truffle vinaigrette and it tasted awesome.

I like mixing stock into homemade meatloaf or burtgers to increase flavor but particularly juciness.

Freeze whatever you're not going to use right now so you don't wate it.

Mark

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nah, don't use it as a substitute. Make sauce like a champ!

4. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How about using it as a braising liquid with a little extra roasted mirepoix, veal bones, some fresh herbs and braise up some beef short ribs. I don't know about it's creativity level but it's real sitck to your bones type food.

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    The thing about making stock with veal bones as distinct from beef bones is that the veal bones have much more collagen which breaks down into gelatin in the cooking process. This gives you a much richer and more flavorfull stock and that richness and flavor are transferred to whatever you use the stock for.

Jock

6. redace1960

redace1960

you could make a mushroom soup fit for the GODS. not the cream type, but a real deep, brothy autumnal stew loaded with chantarelles or wood ears, some cashew, leek.... get ahold of shroomgirl, she'll point you right. thats my very favorite use for veal stock; it just seems to go together so , so right. (i really need to not do this before i eat breakfast....drool.....)

7. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    You guys and gals are making me hungry!

another use may be something like a beef bourguignon.

happy eating :)

dan