Varieties of STUFF in your Fridge or how many vinagers do you have???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Dec 4, 2000.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    This is unreal....I started cleaning my cabinents and fridges out last week.....weird timing I know anyway
    16 vinegars
    10 mustards
    12 oils
    25 varieties/shapes of pasta....
    you know I normally don't count my condiments but as I was going through there were just so darn many I started counting....
    AM I ALONE in having huge assortments of food products? Anyone else care to comment on whats in their drawers.......

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a partridge in a pear tree. I have every hot sauce known to man/women kind
    [​IMG]
    cc

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Chocolate! Yesterday, I bought even more. We passed a Lindt store, and I couldn't help it. Given how I love chocolate, I should be as big as a house!

4. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    all the lovely different things in my kitchen!
    Asian sauces 11
    mustards 5
    peanutbutters 4
    jellys 5
    mayo 4
    sugars 8
    flours 6
    tea 13

is it any wonder i have bins overflowing all over the place?
    spring cleaning in DEC!

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I know I don't I've taught in other peoples homes and they just don't have 4 kinds of salt or 5 kinds of pepper or stock or demi glaze or I hate to even bring it up but I have 1/2 a piggie in my freezer now from 2 past buys and I just bought another 1/2 to be picked up this week....Boudin Blanc to make leaf lard to render, bacon and ham to cold smoke....I asked for all 5 piggie livers
    Gosh it's not the middle of Dec and I'm REALLY not doing this am I?????

6. isa

isa

Let's see there's balsamic vinegar, red wine, white wine, rice and common vinegar. I'd like to add champagne and sherry vinegar. If I was rich would add truffle flavoured vinegar. There's a array, four, of little French sauce in small jars for fondue. But only one jar of mayo, never use it much. Ah and tomato paste in a tube. As for oil, sesame, olive and canola. I'm trying to figure what kind Shroomgirl has in her fridge to come to 16.

7. isa

isa

Marye,

You're right. You must be more awake then I am... I'd love some truffle oil. You only need a few drops at a time it taste so good.

I don't really care for walnut oil. Tasted it once and not really liked it.

You know what I'd love to have, pistachio flour. I saw it once and now I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

8. isa

isa

Marye,

I know the pistachio flour comes from California. I am sure there must be a association of pistachio grower they could probably tell you where to get some.

Should I find it, I want to make pistachio shortbread. Mind you a pistachio tart would be great. Wonder if it wouldn't be better made with pistachio reduced into a powder instead of the flour. Just like the almonds. Hmmm. Could use a chocolate crust. That would a great dessert. [​IMG]

The one thing I hate about pistachio is removing the skin. Always have trouble with that. I've try to do it the hazelnut and the almond way. Neither way was very successful.

I can understand why you would love pistachio & chocolate. What a great mix. Cote d'or a French chocolate co. Makes a chocolate pistachio bar. Pretty good. You should be able to find it. Or you could make some, have you ever tempered chocolate?

A bit of research and I found that pistachio flour is made by The California Press.

9. isa

isa

Chrose,

I'd hate to see your fridge when things are not tight. Are you sure one fridge is enough?? Just kidding. I have to ask what is duck sauce? I never heard of it. Do I detect a duck fixation here? [​IMG]

Marye,

Tempering chocolate isn't that difficult to do. I rather enjoy making candies. I just don't like to eat it. I am not a big dessert eater either. At one point this summer I had four or five pies and tarts in the freezer. I solve my problem by giving them away, sure makes people happy.

10. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Sisi

Duck sauce is actually a plum sauce. It's often offered in a little dish in Americanized Chinese joints, the tan sort of applesauce-looking sweet stuff with the fried noodles or the egg rolls.

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited 12-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited 12-04-2000).]

11. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Sorry MaryeO I really meant Sisi...

For some reason I cannot get the Edit function to work tonight.

12. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

MaryeO -- sorry, I meant Sisi.

For some reason I cannot get the Edit function to work tonight. I blame a hanging chad.

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have gogurts,Three kinds of juice boxes,string cheese,individual portions of apple sauce,rice pudding,jello,pudding. Oh did I mention way,way back in the lower right hand side behind all the other **** . is a little bit of truffle butter left from T-day. My Daughters haven't found that yet
    cc

14. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Chrose

I was vicariously browsing your pantry when I stumbled across the dried shrimp.

More than once, I've stood in the aisle at the Asian grocery and said to myself, "Bet those would be good, if I knew what the hey they use 'em for."

Could you enlighten me?

15. isa

isa

Live_to_cook

Thanks for the info. I don't believe we have that type of sauce here, at least not under that name. We do have the orangish sauce they serve with eggrolls. Could it be like hoisin sauce?

16. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sisi and Live-to -cook, you both have me confused, Chinese duck sauce in those little packets is nothing more than suger,food coloring and geliten, As for Hoison sauce no plums live in there either it is fermented soy and other flavorings. If I am off base let me know, I want to make sure I understand what you are saying
    cc [​IMG]

17. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well it's nice to know I'm not alone in this strange abundance....
    rices: arborio (3brands)
    Uncle Bens converted
    Texmati
    Stansells Popcorn rice
    Wild Rice (counts)
    sushi rice
    Brown rice
    Basmati brown rice
    some mixed varieties from Linstroms (?)
    oh man
    Yep I have nut oils almond, walnut, porcini, chili, sesame,Spainish, Virgin, Extra Virgin slut, Italian, Light oliveoils Canola, 2 truffle oils (one good one not), vegtable oil
    Corn oil
    Viniagers....sherry (3) Balasmic (5) melon, raspberry, apple cider, white, tarragon, wine
    Mustards....dry, brown whole grain, creole, yellow hot dog shtuff, poupon, another coarse grain, horseradish mustard, honey mustard....
    Chocolates...Valharona, SharffB...99%, nibs, 55%, Callebaut, Lindt white, nestle choc.chips, ?Guittard white chips, El ray...
    Flour, corn, cake, bread, unbleached, southern soft wheat, whole wheat, rye, buckwheat....
    Nuts pecans, walnuts, almonds (3 flavored 1plain), macadamia nuts, pistachios....
    Cheeses...too many if possible
    Dried fruit 8
    dried shrooms....unreal 18 varieties and more arrived today.....
    LETS COOK!!!!! I REALLY HATE to have to run to the store when I'm in the middle of cooking....thus

18. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Come on Shroomgirl, You have to be kidding
    Does A&P have to worry about you?
    cc

19. isa

isa

Wow what a selection. What is popcorn rice? I've never heard of that before.

20. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Sisi, re: duck sauce -- Yep I'm talking about the orangey stuff.

Cape Chef: Like any sauce, its quality will depend on the cook/restaurant setting it before you. I've never seen real "duck sauce" in those packets, just like most often it's not real soy sauce in the other packet. Not to sound too snobby, but I would sooner ask for Hollandaise in a Denny's than eat that stuff.

Logose has got the skinny on duck sauce (see above).