Vanillas and flavorings

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bakerbebe, Sep 16, 2000.

1. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

Sorry I am posting so much -- you'll be sick of me :)
    I saw a thread below about different types of vanillas and thought I would get your expert advice. I haven't tried mexican, tahitian, madagascar bourbon, etc. I have been reading about them in different magazines. Do you use these types of vanilla in all your baking or mainly for sauces, custards or puddings and that type of thing? I just got a catalog with all of these fabulous vanillas and flavorings and I'm just anxious to try some of them out.

2. isa

isa

Using vanilla bean all the time can get somewhat expensive if you bake a lot. And it is not in every dessert or pastry that you can really appreciate the full flavour of it. When I make darker dessert, one where the flecks won't be seen I tend to use extract.

What you can do is make your own vanilla extract by putting some beans in a flavourless alcohol like vodka. Put it in a dark cool place for about 3 months and it's ready to use. The good thing about it is that you can replace the beans every few months and add more alcohol and you will never run out of extract.

Sisi

3. cookm

cookm

What catalog is this BTW? Is it on the web? I'd be interested in seeing it.

4. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

Thanks, Sisi for the tip about the vanilla.
    Cook M to answer your question -- the catalog I was referring to is the King Arthur Flour catalog -- called "The Baker's Catalogue". You can order it online by going to their website KingArthurFlour.com
    I am in no way affiliated with this company, but they should give me free products because I rave about it to friends and family!

5. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Put a bean in with your sugar. when it dries, put it into the food processor with the sugar and you will have vanilla sugar, sift to get out the big chunks!
    if you have a cheaper vanilla extract, add a few beans to intencify the flavor.

------------------
    bake first, ask questions later