Valentine's Menu

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Feb 12, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We never go out on Valentines - too much chaos out there to really enjoy ourselves.  So I'm working on my menu and I'm thinking of doing an beef short rib with gnocchi and an apple tart.  I've never made any of these dishes before.  If anyone has good methods and tips I'm open.  Plus I need some sort of veggie or salad, something green.

I'm mostly worried about the gnocchi, I've only eaten them once and have never made them before.  Can I make them ahead of time in the morning and cook later?  And then I can toss them with the short ribs sauce or do they get their own dressing?

2. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    You can make the gnocchi ahead of time and then freeze it or keep it in the fridge covered. When I make gnocchi I make big batches of it and freeze what I don't need.

Here is an easy recipe for an apple tart that I based my apple galette on a few days ago. You can use pre-made pastry dough for it I believe.: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/11/simplest-apple-tart/

My favourite salad for short rips is a balsamic, arugula and strawberry salad. Or any arugula based salad.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks helloitslucas, I'll be honest and say I decided to do an apple tart after seeing your beautiful galette :)

4. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I am flattered! :) I used less sugar than the recipe said, added vanilla seeds as well as a bit of honey to it. And I may, or may not, have used more butter. :p Turned out great!

5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    helloitslucas likes this.
  6. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I would add some chocolate dipped strawberries, and perhaps some Sgroppino (Prosecco, vodka & lemon sorbet) to the menu to get the party started ;-)

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Helloitslucas I too usually cut the sugar in desserts which doesn't always result in good cakes but I think since it's a filling it will work great this time

Thanks for the ideas cerise, that's exactly what I had in mind for the short ribs. Babur I was hoping to toss ye gnocchi in with the sauce, would that not work or do they need to be a separate dish?

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I love braised short ribs.  I'll suggest adding about a 1/4 cup of dried, tart cherries to the pot.  In my opinion beef and cherries play well together.  Hmm, thought I had posted a recipe on the web, it wasn't where I thought it was.

I still haven't decided what to do for sure.  I was thinking of baking fish in parchment or en croute to post in the fish challenge, but I'm currently leaning towards a lobster risotto.  Made it for my wife's birthday last year, it was quite tasty!

mjb.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think you could toss them in with the braising sauce. Or you could first toast them in some beurre noisette along with some sage leaves, and that would work quite nicely too. 

You could consider topping the short ribs with gremolata for that "special" touch - that would be perfect for Valentine's day. 

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok I have to ask, why so short ribs look so different sometimes? I've seen them shaped like large squares, long thin strips with little bones and boneless. What is it that I'm looking for?

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Look for cubes/rectangles with one bone in each piece, like this: 

If you can't find them, know that you can get almost-as-delicious results from a good piece of boneless chuck, that you can cube yourself. That's usually the way I go for cost reasons. 

The long thin strips are for grilling, Korean or Argentinian way. Both utterly delicious, but a completely different dish. 

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ah ok, will save those long thin strips for spring then and will look for the squares. Are these the bones from prime rib?

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    My understanding is that if you look at a rib roast, the short rib would be attached to it by its pointy side. So picture a prime rib roast with bones twice as long, cut it in half and you have one rib roast and one short rib plate. Ok that's hard to picture in your mind I'm sure... here's a video (haven't watched it yet but I will watch it later):

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yep, that video sums it all up.  Not that big a fan of the flanken cut, but do use it, for example in the braise I did for the cinnamon challenge.

mjb.

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Really? I looooove a good flanken short rib grilled over high heat. Both for Kalbi, or with Chimichurri. I even like gnawing on the connective tissue around the bones. 

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I probably could have phrased that better.  I do love kalbi, the Asian market a couple blocks south always has thin cut flanken on hand.  Will have to try the chimichurri option soon.  It isn't that I don't like flanken, it is just that I use English cut maybe 90% of the time. Probably more habit than actual preference.

mjb.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Awesome video thank you for posting FF!!  Imagine me tomorrow walking into my butcher's store saying "I'd like english cut short ribs from ribs 6-8 please!"

Do I want them long or square?  And how many are enough for 3 people?

18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    The square are the typical choice, I've never tried the long ones but I assume they would cook pretty much the same except that you'd have less surface to brown.. so I'd go for the squares. 

3 people... I would get about 2lbs depending on the ratio meat to bone&fat. But keep in mind leftovers are equally delicious (or better) so it's not a big deal if you have a bit too much. 

19. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    You're welcome.  Since the dish (link I posted) includes celery, carrots, & onions, I wouldn't worry about a side dish.

Instead of salad, you might do stuffed endive leaves.  (Anything you eat with your hands is romantic, imo.) And, it could serve as an appetizer as well. You can stuff them with a lobster, shrimp or crab salad.  Or, bleu or goat cheese, walnuts, black pepper & a drizzle of honey.  Lots of options. I would add some crusty bread & butter to soak up the juices, and you're good to go.

20. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other