Valentine's Day: What did you make?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Feb 15, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    .... or what did someone make for you?

Hubby grilled ribeyes outside.  I sauteed some spinach with garlic and pan roasted fingerling potatoes in duckfat with rosemary.  No dessert. The best part is that there is enough left overs to have a spinach omelet for breakfast and a steak salad for lunch /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We had grilled pork chops, some braised broccoli and some sweet carrots. Very simple just a relaxing evening at home. And of course we had some chocolates.

3. landesmum

landesmum

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Salad of baby greens from the garden with fresh goat cheese and baby toms! Cedar planked salmon with a cilantro lemon butter, duck fat roasted asparagus, smashed veggies (baby Yukon golds, pumpkin and carrots mashed with a good dollop of butter) and a chocolate genache cheesecake with a blackout chocolate cake crust...good red Aussie wine! Simple but tasty!

4. bonbini

bonbini

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hubby made turkey paillard, roasted brussel sprouts and twice baked potatoes. I made a chocolate strawberry opera cake. :)

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My lovely bride is down in Phoenix, death in the family, so I was on my own.

Pan seared, finished in the oven and I blew it, about a minute too long for this bone in ribeye to be perfect.  Still quite tasty, though.

mjb.

6. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Lovely Valentine dishes everyone!

I made a couple:

dcarch

Sous Vide Rosemary Leg Of Lamb,

Sous Vide chicken Breast, Meyer Lemon Mushroom Sauce

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How did you get the grill marks (patterns) on the lamb?

It presents very well and very uniquely ...  very well done!

I'm a convert to sous-vide but to entice others you should show a cut/slice of those dishes.  Especially the lamb.

Awesome work. 

8. paul alfred

paul alfred

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Our restaurant did a couple's special for Valentine's Day that came with a cheese tray for two, two house salads made of hydroponically grown organic lettuce (red and green) and organic heirloom cherry tomatoes, followed by a blood-orange sherbet (made in-house), then chateaubriand with chateau potatoes (tourneed potatoes) and a veggie medley, and finished with two small (cupcake-ish sized) chocolate lava cakes.  I had some fun with it, and learned quite a bit.  One of the big things I learned was how to cut tourne, and that I HATE cutting anything tourne, lol.  I also learned about making sherbet though, and that if you microwave a chocolate lava cupcake for about 30 seconds it will explode all over the inside of the microwave...

9. chrissymc

chrissymc

Exp:
    Private Chef
    For my clients, I made an appetizer of caramelized onions and homemade ricotta on crostini. The salad/side was an arugula salad topped with a quinoa cake that had a roasted red pepper and walnut pesto sauce. The entree was a roasted salmon fillet with a caramel type sauce. I thought the quinoa with the red pepper and walnut pesto was really good and I know they liked it alot. I'm not a huge fan of sweetened sauces on salmon, but my clients are. I liked the sauce, but didn't love it. For dessert, I made them tiramisu in martini glasses. It all went over very well and they were happy.

For my husband's dinner, I made his favorite...a phone call to a local hoagie shop.

I'm new here and this is my first post. After seeing your posts, I realize I need to start taking pictures!

10. davehriver

davehriver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We both worked late  on V day so we are doing it tonight.  Sous vid New York strip, shrimp scampi with a nice sald and bread.

11. davehriver

davehriver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dcharc Your dishes look great.  Did you use a torch or a "branding iron" for the grill marks?

12. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks everyone.

I have a few unique grills and branding irons to have fun with.

A couple more:

dcarch

Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin

Crispy bacon wrapped scallops

13. paul alfred

paul alfred

Exp:
    Line Cook
    dcarch,

Those look great...now I'm hungry, lol!

14. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made a platter of seared scallops and little nori rolls of tuna tartare. The greenery and tomatoes are from the garden. Cilantro is flowering so made use of those too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

davehriver likes this.
  15. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I made sore wrists, sore back, sore feet and leg cramps.  Thank goodness for pickle juice and Ibuprofin.

I've also run out of top sirloin until tomorrow.  Never happened before, but...selling steaks was the idea.