utterly fantastic!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by redace1960, Apr 1, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

been eavesdropping in the cafe' of the gods for awhile, thought i should introduce myself...taught myself to cook out of desparation at age 8-moms m.o. was to boil everything until it was a color not found in nature-using maria lo pinto's book "the art of italian cooking' and by watching good ol' graham kerr-this was back in his nehru jacket days-for the mechanics. im lucky enough to live in an area where i have ready access to clean, fresh game, ditto farm-grown meats, hippie-grown vegetables of every description, yet close enough to civilization to be able to get premium olive oils and such. gods country! fearless in the kitchen, will set aside an entire day to play with a new ingredient or technique. im looking forward to learning from you all! this is the best site ive found on the web!

2. booooze

booooze

awesome. welcome to the site

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Glad you found us, Redace. I, too, learned a lot from those early programs: Galloping Gourmet and The French Chef. Now look at all the offerings!

You do have some great ingredients available to you in the Northwestern U.S. What are some of your favorite ways of using them?

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

4. redace1960

redace1960

back in '68 graham kerr was all we had in the way of cooking shows-when julia came on a couple years later, i was wowed!! i have a picture of her, she's brandishing a large knife and looks like the amazon goddess of all things culinary-i keep it on the fridge.
    northwest groceries-wise?? i try to let the food speak for itself. nothing beats the taste of absolute, absolute freshness and cleanliness. my problem is trying to pile too much into one dish. simplify, simplify. i would appreciate any hints or recipes from folks who know how to respect fine ingredients and combine them without resorting to the kind of over-spicing, -breading and
    -saucing you get in the 'inland' traditions. that was a euphemism, by the way.