using whole egg powder in ice cream

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I make my own ice cream with a batch mix of 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, K cup coco pod any flavor, 1.5 cup half&half. I mix this and 30 seconds in microwave really makes it smooth before adding to machine. I been flurting with adding some whole powder egg to the mix for more richness figure be easier than using real egg no problem of egg cooking or having to strain it. Not sure if adding egg powder would better before or after microwaving batch and I'm guessing enough powder for 1 egg would be enough. Input would be appreciated.
I have been making ice cream with this basic batch recipe and it turned out good but found 30 seconds in microwave change the base and it just mixed better. recently i been adding K cup coco pod to the base because it brings many different flavors specially using candy flavored coco. Found this out by adding a k cup mint coco to my brownies mix since have lot of k cup coco pods and they did pick the flavor. Now bought bag of whole egg powder of Amazon to see if it makes a difference figure safer and less problems than using real egg.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 4, 2005
Today is my first try with whole egg portion and its been about 50 minutes now and its starting to see results during the freezing process. Starting to look much how would put it, more coming together, thicker tha without the egg. Not like its seperating more hardening together i guess creamer looking. Will be intresting to taste finished protuct and I'm sure professional chefs depend on powder substitutes for whole products so don't look down on me. Since only make 1.5 cup batch at a time used 2 tbs which is 1 whole egg and did mix together all ingredients befor 30 seconds in microwave then another mix using a frother mixer with egg mixer attachment before into ice cream machine.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 9, 2020
Going to be interesting to see what happens... not a fan for powdered egg, but if it works, it's another tool in the arsenal...

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I made my 2 batches and defently a difference in texture and flavor but could be the white chocolate coco used for flavoring. Its texture was more like ice cream while other way more like ice milk. Melted little slower than with out egg but i would call it a success. I thought poweder egg would save time by removing the egg coddled and straining time with no chance of under cook egg harm. i can't believe none on here ever used powder anything in recipes.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Powder “anything” is too broad a statement. I would never use a powdered egg unless no round eggs were available.

Other powdered goods, though, do get used… like powdered milk/buttermilk. The difference, to me, is only using powder when I know that they work in the recipe.

I’ve never heard of using powdered egg in ice cream. But I’m not an ice cream expert and every time I make it (or gelato) I use round egg.

You may be trying something that just isn’t common, or a proven method. Your experimentation could teach the world a new trick!

Joined Dec 29, 2019
I make my own ice cream with a batch mix of 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, K cup coco pod any flavor, 1.5 cup half&half. I mix this and 30 seconds in microwave really makes it smooth before adding to machine. I been flurting with adding some whole powder egg to the mix for more richness figure be easier than using real egg no problem of egg cooking or having to strain it. Not sure if adding egg powder would better before or after microwaving batch and I'm guessing enough powder for 1 egg would be enough. Input would be appreciated.
I have been making ice cream with this basic batch recipe and it turned out good but found 30 seconds in microwave change the base and it just mixed better. recently i been adding K cup coco pod to the base because it brings many different flavors specially using candy flavored coco. Found this out by adding a k cup mint coco to my brownies mix since have lot of k cup coco pods and they did pick the flavor. Now bought bag of whole egg powder of Amazon to see if it makes a difference figure safer and less problems than using real egg.
better with yolk.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
So are you recommending use powder yolks over whole eggs cause they do sell that.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
If you are talking egg starters type stuff rather stick to powder eggs. I have used that stuff before with less than flattering results

Top Bottom