Using up Fruit Salsa

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I have just under 2 quarts of a commercial fruit salsa. I need ideas on using it up. I've done fish tacos. They were quite good. When I hear fruit salsa or grilled fish, fish tacos is my usual response.

I'm thinking about stewing some pork in most of it. My concerns there are in regard to the concentration of sugar and salt as the salsa reduces in cooking. Mostly the salt. So any tips to help alleviate that. Ideas on vegetables to stew with and use the concentration of salt as their seasoning would be helpful. I am leaning away from serving it taco style.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
What type of fruit in salsa? What cut of pork? Rough idea on process for stew?

If you puree the salsa (or some of it) it won't require as much reduction. Also if you puree say half or so, you could add it toward end of cooking and get the full fresh flavor of the fruit without thinning the stew or concentrating the salt content.

Vegies that come to mind are butternut squash, rutabaga, and parsnips. Their flavor profile should work well and they are relatively low in sugar but more importantly low in sodium. I thought about turnips as well but their sodium (for 1 cup) is actually 4%DV as opposed to 1% for rutabaga and parsnip and 0% for butternut squash.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That's helpful. I'm learning towards a piece from the shoulder for stewing

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Blitz some of it up to make a sauce then layer the non-blitzed salsa between crepes with whipped cream-cheese.

Blitz it up to make a mostarda with butter and mustard. Lay out vertically slices of prosciutto with a very thin slice of cheese, something like provolone. Pipe a lime of the fruit mostarda horizontally across the meat/cheese and gently roll them into logs. Put them in the oven until the cheese just melts. Serve on toasted baguette slices.

I could go on ...

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The stew turned out acceptably. Not my first choice in flavor profiles but it did work. Sweet-savory is usually not my preference and not in my cooking experience much. I bulked up my liquid with chicken stock and thickened with masa harina at the end.

I had debated cornbread as accompaniment but stuck with rice after all.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Depending on the ingredients you could try and make some type of tropical gazpacho? I know it's not really the type of year for it.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Sounds like a Hawaiian flavor profile to me. I bet rice was a better choice than cornbread which would have brought more sweetness to the plate. Some fresh ginger would have been good.

Top Bottom