Using others' recipes in restaurant

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by anewhope, May 22, 2018.

1. anewhope

anewhope

Exp:
    I'm new to the industry but had previously been cooking seriously at home for close to a decade. I recently began creating weekly specials for the restaurant where I work and am wondering if it's normal/encouraged/frowned upon to use recipes from cookbooks or blogs for pieces of dishes, especially sweets.

One dish I had seen a photo of and liked, so I used a crust recipe from a book and a filling from someplace else. Another was a dessert where the main component came from a blog, the sauce I got on Epicurious, and I flavored my own whipped cream. I feel confident in saying the dishes are mostly from my own head, but I didn't alter any recipes, only combined them.

Is this considered plagiarism? The question has wedged into my head and I've tried reading about the topic, but the discussion is often about reposting or republishing recipes as your own, which I don't plan to do.

For cooking, I believe it is a little more iffy (or at least monumentally lazy) if you lift something identically without any alteration or credit because it's so easy to customize with different techniques or flavorings. For baking, there are certain ratios or standard recipes that were doubtless adapted and copied already before you read it. Why mess with a recipe that already works for the sake of originality?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    No, because it is essentially a performance art with edible results, and there is an art to the act of doing it itself. When you follow a recipe your are doing what a violinist is doing, just solo, and you can eat the music.

redbeerd cantu likes this.
  3. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    No, what you describe is exactly what many chefs do. There are some that create something completely different, but most take a recipe they learned at a previous job and maybe change from peaches to apricots and serve it with a different ice cream and a different presentation and that's it.
    Most of my employers require me to sign an agreement that any recipes I create while on the job are theirs, but I have always thought it is a little silly. Every chef I have worked with has a collection of recipes from their previous jobs. I am just very careful if a recipe is getting published that it is fully mine (except for basics, like pie dough).

4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Every restaurant I've worked at, used recipes from cookbooks for pretty much all the items on the menu.

Even fancy places.

5. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I consider it a complement if someone uses my recipes.

6. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    The only time something like this is wrong is when someone else's recipe is passed off as your own.

drirene, butzy and Pat Pat like this.
  7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef

drirene, kronin323, butzy and 4 others like this.
  8. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree with what has been said. It's perfectly fine to use other people's recipes, perhaps with the one exception of passing off someone's highly recognisable signature dish as one's own.
    In conventional cooking there really isn't anything new - we're only combining existing ingredients and techniques in (hopefully) interesting ways...

capricciosa likes this.
  9. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Plagiarism? No. Those recipes are in books or on blogs so that people CAN recreate them. If you stole your former chef's recipe book & started cooking, then yes that would be plagiarism.

It is nothing more than learning from others...you can give credit without saying that you got a particular recipe off a blog.

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I shamefully admit that early in my career, I plagiarized from Escoffier. If anyone needs me...I will be standing over in the corner with my nose to the wall. :~)

butzy and recky like this.
  11. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    I can't imagine many instances when such beautiful words have ever been written...

flipflopgirl likes this.
  12. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    One of the many issues I've had when I come into a new kitchen (at least the kitchens I've come into in the past five years) is that they didn't have recipes. Each one has been "a pinch of this, a dash of that, a four second squeeze of this sauce bottle, a two second pour of this spice blend," etc. Whenever I try to mimic their actions and follow their instructions, it's never right.

I tend to be very precision-driven when it comes to recipe. If I come to work in your kitchen, I ABSOLUTELY want to give the customers the exact same thing that you've been giving them for the past years. How can you give me no specificity and then comment or complain when I can't get it right? It isn't fair (which sounds real punk to me, but nevertheless...), and isn't it in your best interest that I put out the EXACT same product that you've been putting out? How could one reasonably expect exactitude of execution when there's no exactitude of recipe or process?

JoannaJancz likes this.
  13. happyhound

happyhound

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I believe it was Johnny Cash who once said, "lets all get together and steal each others songs".

14. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Meh... If I follow the recipient exactly, I credit the originator, I.e. Jamie Oliver's g.f. d.f. Avocado and coconut chocolate mousse. Usually though, I'll take someones's recipie and tweak it substantially, I.e. Maida Heater's cowtown choc cake recipie with Ital. buttercream and kirsch soaked dried cherries.

15. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    The common response for recipe originality i heard many times in culinary school for, "How do i make a recipe my own?" was, "Remove one ingredient and change two."

16. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    You totally missed the sentence before the one you quoted. This is what the "fake news" people do. LoL

I have had my kitchen's recipe book(s) stolen by a former kitchen manager. Cooking from Escoffier, or the Pioneer Woman (bleh), isn't plagiarizm. They are publicly produced works free for the taking.

17. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No, I didn't.

18. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I’ve changed just method and felt rather inventive.

redbeerd cantu likes this.