Using Lavender in Desserts

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by mike cooks, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mike cooks

mike cooks

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello.

I am a catering chef and we have an upcoming plated dinner for 600-650 in a few months.  Our client is interested in us incorperating the color purple into the dessert.  I try to avoid food colorings and keep dishes chemical and additive free.  I have had luck with a lavender lemon flan in the past an but made a lavender sugar to flavor it and did not get any color. I also was thinking of making a lavender panna cotta depending on which direction my client goes with their menu choices. 

The question is, has anyone had luck getting a lavender color from lavender?  If not, is there another way to get a natural purple tint into (I'm thinking steeped into a cream to be used in the dessert) on my dessert plate? I have little experience with lavender and would appreciate any feedback. Also, I'm not married to the cream based dessert, it was just the initial brain spurt.

Mike

2. jessiquina

jessiquina

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    what about just garnishing with a lavendar colored sugar garnish? like pulled sugar or bubble sugar?

3. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    Or make a lavender ice cream and garnish with a sprig of lavender? Or for that matter you can garnish any dessert with a sprig of lavender…

4. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    P.S. I really don't think you can extract the color purple to any discernible degree by steeping it. At best you would get a light blue grayish color.