Using Espresso in Brownie Recipe

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by tkellyvt, Apr 4, 2014.

1. tkellyvt

tkellyvt

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My company is working to develop an espresso brownie to add to our retail line. I'm wondering what would be the difference in using instant espresso vs. actually grinding up espresso beans very finely? I'm looking to enhance the chocolate as well as impart a distinct coffee flavor without overpowering.

Thanks

2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Funny I am invited to a dinner party this Saturday and I will supplydesserts one of which is an Pecan ,expresso  Brownie. Instead of water as liquid I use already made liquid expresso and  a little instant coffee powder. I believe the beans would be slightly bitter .

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have found espresso powder to be overpowering if just a touch too much is added with the dry ingredients, I use use it sparingly in my brownies.  Ed, I think I'll try your method next time.

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Whenever I add an Espresso flavor to something, I use the ejected, used, pod of grounds that the machine puts out after making a cup. It is less harsh but still adds a nice flavor

5. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I"m going to keep this in mind for our espresso shortbread cookies when the time comes (usually we make it at Christmas and dip in hazelnut giandua)