Using dry rub on ribs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by evelynseal, May 14, 2004.

1. evelynseal

evelynseal

Is it best to cook the ribs before putting them on a gas grill with a dry rub?

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    New poster, welcome :bounce:

I would say yes unless your going to cook at a low temp (300C or less). Ribs tend to take a while to cook unless you've seperated them, so your dry rub would end up burning on you. Either cook your ribs before application or cook at lower temperatures.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It depends strongly what's in your rub. If you do a low to no sugar rub (assuming no tomatoe products also), you can rub before hand.

Some sugars are slower to burn on you as well. Turbinado for example. It will still burn, just not as fast.

Ribs cooked low and slow with indirect heat are better in my opinion than those cooked quickly.

I've seen a style of dry ribs that are cooked over the grill then seasoned heavily with a dry rub for serving. It was on a cooking program so I couldn't taste them, but it looked like it would be harsh tasting. The rub needs some time and heat to do it's best work is my experience.

Phil

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Usualy I apply rub to my ribs first thing in the morning and allow them to set and soak in prior to cooking in the afternoon.