Using Deba to Fillet Flat Fish?

Joined Sep 29, 2015
Hey guys,

I've never filleted a flat fish before and was wondering if it would be possible to do so with a deba or should I buy a flexible western style filleting knife?

Not sure if this is supposed to be posted here or somewhere else, but any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Now that has to be considered "precision filleting."

Thanks Jon, but where the heck were you when I made the post entitled as above!?

Joined Aug 26, 2016
As that video shows, you can absolutely fillet with a deba. If you have one, why not use it. If not, a long 10"-14" fillet knife will do.

With the fillet knife you can take both sides off in one piece fairly easily. Remove the head/clean gut. Run the knife tip into the fish on top of the backbone...basically skewer it right down the middle. Once you reach the tail (or as far as your knife will go) you can slice right through to the outside of the fillet in the direction of your cutting edge. Re-insert along the spine and slice off the other side. Flip/repeat. Once you do this a few times it becomes natural. You can side off a flounder in under a minute.

Latest posts

Top Bottom