Uses for Herb Oil

Joined Sep 10, 2016
Slowly poaching herbs, garlic, shallot, lemon zest in oil for herb flavoured oil: seems like a good use of leftover herbs, lemons etc but trying to brainstorm some great uses for it.

Joined Sep 10, 2016
I'll probably use a olive oil blend, say olive oil and grapeseed. There's probably some great use for it that I'm just missing.
You can use it in just about any recipe that calls for oil and herbs. What type of oil are you using?

Joined Jan 6, 2018
You can use it for finishing a dish, or use it in a sauce. At the place where I work, we use a whey sauce with smoked seaweed and leek oil. :)

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Having flavored oils is building a pantry. If inclined, make a Chili, garlic, cilantro oil for adding a spicy kick to ____. Then you get to choose!

I make a batch of roasted garlic+herb oil to make into mayo for My Egg Salad. If you have a stick blender a Qt of Mayo only takes a few minutes.

Sorry, to answer your question... I think most any vegetable or protein could benefit from those flavors. Grilling, pan frying, oven roasting, Great on any Pasta with the fresh version added in...

Joined Oct 9, 2008
To my mind, the main reasons for such oils are (a) you don't want the actual herbs in the dish, or (b) you want to have fabulous herb flavor in the winter. For me, (a) is not an issue--I love to chew on bits of fresh herbs, assuming we're talking about delicate leafy things. But (b) is huge. Think what a pleasure, in deep winter, is a dish of pasta dressed with a great pesto Genovese!

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
To my mind, the main reasons for such oils are (a) you don't want the actual herbs in the dish, or (b) you want to have fabulous herb flavor in the winter. For me, (a) is not an issue--I love to chew on bits of fresh herbs, assuming we're talking about delicate leafy things. But (b) is huge. Think what a pleasure, in deep winter, is a dish of pasta dressed with a great pesto Genovese!
Another major reason for such oils is when you have an over abundance of fresh herbs and need to preserve the flavor.

Years ago, one of the homemade gifts I would make for Christmas were baskets filled with small bottles of flavored oils and flavored vinegars. It's a lot of fun to make a bunch of different flavors and it's an easy project that can be accomplished in an afternoon (not counting steeping time).

Joined Sep 10, 2016
Yes, this helps a lot actually, for example, use it for sauteeing mushrooms etc. I didn't think of that.
Having flavored oils is building a pantry. If inclined, make a Chili, garlic, cilantro oil for adding a spicy kick to ____. Then you get to choose!

I make a batch of roasted garlic+herb oil to make into mayo for My Egg Salad. If you have a stick blender a Qt of Mayo only takes a few minutes.

Sorry, to answer your question... I think most any vegetable or protein could benefit from those flavors. Grilling, pan frying, oven roasting, Great on any Pasta with the fresh version added in...

Latest posts

Top Bottom