use of flat top (griddle) inside residential kitchen

TAZ

Joined Oct 21, 2021
I am renovating my kitchen and would like to install 36inch griddle

I would appreciate comments on:
- Sanity of my decision!
- Can I put a commercial unit in my home?
- what BTUs should I get? I think 90K BTU is overdoing it for residential and the hood system I would need (I am sure there is a formula for BTUs to hood needed I just don't know it yet)
- Any recommendations on units that would work well in residence (it would not get the same food traffic/use as restaurant obviously - but a decent amount as we constantly have people over and many will want to make their own eggs/pancake/burgers etc on it).
- Prefer counter top with greace catcher.

Appreciate your advice in advance.

Tommy

Example of what I am looking at (not the brand, but counter top and multiple controls and greace catcher):

1634840550459.png

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
There's also likely a few other problems with your idea. Not insurmountable, but problems.
  • Gas supply--is it worth the retro-fit to pipe enough gas flow over. Because these will require more flow than a regular stove. Maybe even a whole service upgrade.
  • Fire codes--what is required by code for the installation of such--fire proofing(materials, insulation) fire suppression, clearance from other surfaces
  • insurance--most home policies will not allow for installation of professional gear.

TAZ

Joined Oct 21, 2021
There's also likely a few other problems with your idea. Not insurmountable, but problems.
  • Gas supply--is it worth the retro-fit to pipe enough gas flow over. Because these will require more flow than a regular stove. Maybe even a whole service upgrade.
  • Fire codes--what is required by code for the installation of such--fire proofing(materials, insulation) fire suppression, clearance from other surfaces
  • insurance--most home policies will not allow for installation of professional gear.
phatch: thank you for your quick reply.

we are gutting kitchen and moving cooking appliances to middle of kitchen (vs wall) - so re-routing of gas, water and electrical will happen regardless (and hood).

I am looking into code and insurance - hoping there is a company that makes residential griddles (but I need 36inch as smaller would become useless for the amount of cooking I do).

Top Bottom