Use normal whole wheat flour in place of pastry flour?

Joined Apr 8, 2010
Switch the measurement for the ap and whole wheat flour so AP is two cups and whole wheat is 1 1/4 cups.  If it seems a little dry, add a tablespoon of milk to the dough at a time until it's all incorporated.  Should work.

Just note that whole wheat flour is not as refined as the pastry flour would be and soaks up a good amount of moisture.  I often substitute up to half of my AP flour in a recipe with whole wheat flour and usually have to add a smidge more moisture.

Good luck.  :)

Joined May 27, 2011
Switch the measurement for the ap and whole wheat flour so AP is two cups and whole wheat is 1 1/4 cups.  If it seems a little dry, add a tablespoon of milk to the dough at a time until it's all incorporated.  Should work.

Just note that whole wheat flour is not as refined as the pastry flour would be and soaks up a good amount of moisture.  I often substitute up to half of my AP flour in a recipe with whole wheat flour and usually have to add a smidge more moisture.

Good luck.  :)

like i said in my post i only have whole wheat flour and not all purpose flour....

Joined Sep 18, 2008
Originally Posted by terestrife

like i said in my post i only have whole wheat flour and not all purpose flour...
I do not believe 100% whole wheat flour will give you the result you are after, in  my experience, the all-purpose flour is ESSENTIAL! You might get away with not using whole wheat pastry flour though, IF you use the all-purpose called for.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
To "lighten up" regular white flour some bakers will add cornstarch. I don't know if that would work with WW flour but it might be worth a try. Like Pete says, using 100% WW flour will give you a dense product.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
terestrife,

You will not be able to use straight WW flour. Please don't waste you money and time.

panini

Joined Apr 8, 2010
I would suggest that a trip to the grocery store is in order then.  :) Sorry..missed that part.  I would have said no...you cannot.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Not believing that. It's not 100 WW flour.

You know when you yank someones chain they might try it and waste their money and time.

Joined May 27, 2011
Not believing that. It's not 100 WW flour.

You know when you yank someones chain they might try it and waste their money and time.

i dont appreciate being called a liar, i did try it, and it is 100% whole wheat, its a good brand. you can believe what you want i really dont care...

Top Bottom