US Traditional Dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by babas & baron, Oct 27, 2001.

1. babas & baron

babas & baron

not beeing an american i would be very glad if you post some traditional american dishes. i mean, what is the typical traditional food from US? /and don't mention the hamburgers, there must be so much more!!)

looking forward to hear from you!!

2. babas & baron

babas & baron

...and don'tbe mad about me. sorry. i'm seriously curious.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello, Babas & Baron, and welcome to ChefTalkCafe!

American food is quite eclectic, and becoming more so all the time. Much of what people think of as "American food" has roots or influences of other cultures. That's the nature of our nation.

However, here are a few dishes that are probably known in most parts of the country:

meat loaf
    mashed potatoes and gravy
    macaroni and cheese
    fried chicken
    chicken fried steak
    pecan pie, pumpkin pie
    roasted, stuffed turkey

Some ingredients which are strongly identified as "American", although some can be found in other cultures:
    cranberries
    wild rice
    peanut butter
    root beer

Okay, Cafe denizens, it's your turn to jump in!

4. w.debord

w.debord

Current weeknight types of dinners the average American family eats would consist of items that are quick to fix since were very busy. Often housewives use pre-packaged rice or noodle items and serve that with a simple broiled or sauteed meat item and a boiled or steamed veggie.

Baked chicken
    Spagetti
    Chili
    Tacos
    Pizza
    Pot roast
    Pork chops
    Take-out chinese food
    steak pork roast
    lamb chops
    salad
    lots of simple chicken dishes, sauteed, stir fried or grilled
    kabobs

many different casseroles:
    tuna noodle
    goulash
    lasagne

Side dishes are often simple:
    baked potato
    mashed potatos
    Boiled or steamed veg.
    mac and cheese
    rice
    salad

5. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Out here in the west one of the biggest sellers is Beef .
    A steak and baked potato with a nice fresh veggie and a salad bar will never recieve a bad review here . Of course here out west we have a major hispanic population so mexican food and its influences can be seen in a lot of the restaurants . Also dont forget about the Chinese food (fried rice) , Italian (Lasagna) , Greek( Salad with Feta Cheese) , Basque(Paella) ,German (Wienerschnitzel) , English (Fish and Chips) Japanese (Sushi) ,
    Like its been said , America is a melting pot of culture from all over the world and our food is reflective of this .:bounce:

6. marzoli

marzoli

Did anybody mention Cajun? Red beans and rice! Yumm.

7. kimmie

kimmie

Mez,

You forgot the Apple Pie! ;)

8. shimmer

shimmer

Chocolate chip cookies (stemming from Toll House Cookies)

Peanut butter (just TRY finding it in other countries!!!!)

Do other countries have Ritter's Frozen Custard? Heck, Oregon doesn't even have that. Yum!

Cobb salad (from California!)

Since America as America (since 1776) has been around for such a short time, most "American" dishes would almost have brand names attached to them.

And pizza, the way we eat it, with tomato sauce and thick chewy crust and loads of cheese, is definitely an American adaptation of an Italian classic.

Probably everything we eat is an American adaptation, though, so its really hard to say.

Mountain Dew!
    Pepsi!
    Coca-Cola!
    Hersheys!
    Doritos!

I must be hungry, all I can think of is junk food.

~~Shimmer~~

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Johnnycakes made with real Flint Corn grown only by one farmer in Rhode Island.:chef:

10. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's very true, however over the formative years people moved around, planted themselves and adapted themselves to the area bringing their own influences to the local denizens of the wild. What we ended up with was a very regional style of cooking. All countries have done this with the regional specialties ranging from Alsace to the Basque, Canton to the Szechuan Province,
    Mexico city to Havana. We are no different.
    Northeast coast of the US you'll find Boston Baked Beans to Steamed Maine Lobster to Vermont Maple.
    East Coast , steamed crabs from the Chesapeake Bay to Smithfield Ham.
    Southern Fried Chicken to Key Lime Pie
    Cajun Crawfish, Shrimp Etouffe to Texas Barbecue.
    New Mexico Corn and Bean, to California Salads and fruit smoothies.
    Northwestern planked Salmon to Oregon Blackberry pie.
    Midwestern corn and grain fed beef the best in the world. Home style farm cooking second to none.
    Wisconsin Cheese to Chicago Bratwurst
    This is a big country with the best of the worlds cooking blended with Americas own diverse culture and gifts to create the best cuisine in the world.:chef:

11. kimmie

kimmie

What a great post!

;)

12. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kimmie,
    I love my neighbors to the frozen north. If it's okay can we expand this topic, after all it is considered "North America"
    and what does Canada offer up in the way of food. Is there a particular cuisine or cuisines? Forgive my ignorance. I am schooled on foods of the world, but not on Canada! Shame on me. I mean besides Back BAcon, Beer and Donuts! Mmmmmm...
    donuts.[​IMG]

13. kimmie

kimmie

This is a gorgeous, charming country with a harsh winter, this is no place for the weak-hearted. So no wonder the food is hearty - lots of pork lard, and beef and butter are called for.

Quebec cooking has french, english and native origins. Some of Quebecers favorite recipes are pea soup, pigs feet and meatballs ragout, meatpie and sugar pie to name a few. And we must not forget our national treasure: Maple syrup!!

I will leave the fine dining to Isa...

Anneke, CoolJ, Linda Smith, and other Canadian Cheftalk members may want to continue with the "Canadian" aspect, from Coast to Coast...

:rolleyes:

14. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Ahhhhhhh poutine. Nuff said.

Maybe Kimmie or Isa would like to describe for our readers what 'oreilles de criss' are?

We've had a really tough time up here trying to define what is Canadian cuisine. We are a seasonal and a regional people, and from what is native to our parts, we adapt according to our heritage and our taste. We have fabulous game meats up here, incredible fish and seafood on the east coast, beautiful fruit and veg in the Niagara region and BC... But when it comes to particular dishes, I think Quebec is the only province that has truly recognisable dishes. Creton anyone?

15. isa

isa

Reading this thread I couldn’t help but laugh, the more I read the more I laughed.

I read Kimmie’s comment and think what the **** is she doing citing very stereotype dishes. Then I saw the line:

Almost fell off my chair laughing.

I should not proceed to the fine dining before adding a few treats Kimmie forgot, how could you?, œuf dans le sirop, feves au lard, beaver tail, tourtiere, cipaille, Cod Cheeks
    . And how could you forget poutine!!

As for oreille de christ, they are fried piece of lard served with maple syrup. Or they are pig ears, depends to whom you ask the question

Now off with the stereotype, they are I’ll admit hard to shell. Even the Larousse present a Canadian menu as you found only find in the lumberjack camp in the middle of winter.

Yes there are lots of good food, fine food and well cooked. As time goes by we are developing a terroir and an expertise on various are of food. Our cheese for example can be held in high value, it is of a quality that will stand up any day to European cheese.

You will fine here the most wonderful fish, cook with imagination. Our seafood, specially the scallops princesse are unique. So is our lobster.

As for meat Quebec lamb has won many awards in the past years, they rival in quality the agneau des pres sales from France.

Tune in tomorrow for more... ;)

16. daveb

daveb

17. kimmie

kimmie

I laughed equally hard while I was reading YOUR post! You are such a card! LOL!

I must admit that I grew up in the purest "French" environment, that's Grandfather's legacy...oui il parlait pointu...!

As for Poutine, well, I still have to taste it...

And with respect to traditional foods served with maple syrup, I went to a sugar shak only once, a very long time ago. I remember eating maple syrup on snow!

Thanks Isa for completing my post :D

:rolleyes:

18. sisrst

sisrst

I remember my grandfathers smokehouse in Virginia, hams hanging for months to cure.

Sliced ham with red eye gravy and mashed potatoes
    and always homemade biscuits.

Country ham can be used to flavor many dishes, Elizabeth Terry from Elizabeth's on 37th in Savannah has some great American recipies using ham and other southern items.

19. isa

isa

Was it a dream or was I just talking poutine to you? Anyway you're not missing much.

20. 9hundred

9hundred

The only thing I know is absoulutely 100% American is.....

SQUEEzECHEESE
    :lips: :lips: :lips: