Urgent Question On Portioning, Please Help

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Chef Billy I envy you eating all that POI. Spooning it out of a hollowed  pineapple. Wow. Was  there about 40 years ago I stayed at Hilton Hawian Village, Ex. Chef was Fred Adler, I enjoyed it. In December I am sailing off to Belize.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well, our party has come and gone.  It was a great success and I wanted to thank all of you who had gave me some terrific advice.  It was surprising to both my husband and me as to what foods were gone in a flash and what was barely touched.  Certainly, we had enough of everything and leftovers that will not go to waste.  Our guests felt so comfortable that they stay until 11 p.m.   We all had such a good time.  The ladies were amazed that I had made most of what was being served, as none of the cook!!  When I brought out the coffee and Cannolis one of the gals exclaimed, “Now you better not tell us you made those too!” 

Mahalo Plenty Everyone!!

Joined Jul 28, 2001
That's a really great looking spread!

It looks inviting and comfortable

Nice job, Jeff

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Heh, thanks alot Jeff that's what I was going for. 

I really wanted everyone to feel as though they could just grab a plate and kick off the shoes and as we say, "Grind"!

Thanks again!!

Joined Jan 23, 2011
That looks like a great layout for a cocktail party!  Congratulations on the success of your first one!

Joined Apr 3, 2010
So that others here may gain from your experience , tell them what went what did not and quantities put out.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yes ChefEd, it would be helpful to others to share what worked and what didn’t.

Working from left to right on the above photo:
  • 16 pieces of Tomato Pie or Deep dish Pizza ~ 4 X 3 inch in size / 6 pieces leftover
  • 85 pieces of Meatballs ~ approx. 1 tablespoon sized in Marinara / approx. 25 pieces leftover (that was dinner last night with pasta)
  • 64 pieces of blanched Asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto di Parma / approx. 15 pieces leftover
  • 20 pieces of Stromboli  ~ approx 4 X 3 inch sized / 4 pieces leftover (that was our midnight snack)
  • Cheese and Italian Meats Platter = 32 pieces each of Mortadella / Genoa Salami / Sweet Cappacolla / Sopprasatta/ 3 oz. each of Fontina / Sharp Provolone / Fresh Mozzarella / Parmesan ~ the only thing that was eaten was the Genoa!!
  • 12 X 7 inch Cold Antipasto Platter of Artichoke hearts / roasted peppers / marinated mushrooms / 3 different kinds of olives / peppadews
Lots of napkins, bamboo skewer/forks and toothpicks (plus a place to deposit them) and plates.

The bar was setup adjacent to the food; the mini Cannoli tray (20 pieces ~ only 5 were leftover) with coffee was served on the dining table.

As I write this, my husband and I are discussing this topic and how we might improve on our next party.  He brings up a very good point that I had not considered: one couple did not stay very long at all, it was a glass of wine, a couple nibbles and they had to go.  Then, two of the remaining gentleman really didn’t eat much at all.  They were enjoying the Hawaiian beer that I had found rather than the tasty tidbits.  Maybe that’s why they had such a good time.  HA!!

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Mahalo Longcolts!!

I hope that we have many more.

My husband wants me to make a "local style" BBQ for the Fourth.

I'm not sure how these folks will like Korean short ribs and sticky rice.... oh yea, no forget the mac salad!!

Joined Apr 24, 2011
LOL thetincook!

ALWAYS two scoop rice and one scoop mac salad, and no forget the brown gravy all over!!

LOL!!

Oh man, I'm home sick now...

where's my spam musubi?

Joined Feb 1, 2007
What's not to like about Korean shortribs? Especially if you go with the traditional ribbon cut; which always impresses people unfamiliar with it. 

Sticky rice, however, can be an acquired taste. So you want to have a fall-back position just in case. Maybe broad egg noodles instead?

As to how your guests related to the food. At any party you will always have some who don't eat much, some who take a taste and run, some who never actually show up. Can't be helped. And that's what makes portion planning so much fun. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Ya’ know KYHeirloomer, I had a hard time finding “flanken” cut beef ribs, we like them about a ¼ inch thick.  Recently though, my local grocer was walking through the store and asked me, “Are you finding everything?”  No, I replied and then explained what  I wanted.  Gratefully, the butcher understood went in the back and cut some up for me.  Another customer asked me what I was going to do that cut of meat and I said, Korean style marinated ribs, “You know how to do that?”  Google Baby!!  Two scoops rice with Aloha Shoyu and Furikake.  Let's not forget the Kim Chee!!  I'm in pig (or Cow) heaven!!

Joined Apr 3, 2010
New cold cuts wouldnt't go. Had it been a luncheon they would. Seems like good old meatballs was most popular. Cannolli I fogured 3 each I was close considering a guest left early. Glad party went well Next time orientel theme maybe or international(1 thing from every country)

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
  • Cheese and Italian Meats Platter = 32 pieces each of Mortadella / Genoa Salami / Sweet Cappacolla / Sopprasatta/ 3 oz. each of Fontina / Sharp Provolone / Fresh Mozzarella / Parmesan ~ the only thing that was eaten was the Genoa!!
I think people sometimes think Capacola is raw meat.  Same goes with Prosciutto.  Oh well, more leftovers for you!

Joined Feb 1, 2007
or international(1 thing from every country)

I'm thinking, Ed, that you intentionally feed me these lines so I can pull your chain.

Let's see....eight people having to pick from several hundred choices (one from every country, you said). In addition to the food, let's not forget the wheelbarrows, so we can roll everyone home. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Seriously, given things Kaneohegirl has implied, it seems her friends are not particularly sophisticated in culinary matters. If that's true, I would tread lightly on international foods. What I would do is introduce one item among more familiar ones. Then, after a few parties, they'll be saying how "Kaneohegirl always puts out the best food, and you never know what to expect," rather than, "oh, man, does she set a strange table."

KG, I'm really glad you found a butcher who'd cut the shortribs for you. A quarter inch is about right.

I did it myself, once, because I wanted to know I could. But it's nice if somebody else handles that chore---unless you're a lot better with a knife than I am.

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yep chefed, I would love to introduce some other foods, but KYHeirloomer is pretty on spot, not too adventurous when it comes to food. 

And right on Kuan, more for us!!  They had no idea what the Cappa or the Mortadella was and frankly did want to.  I went out and found some crusty rolls and made some awesome sammies!!

Now I hope that you guys will also help me out with me next soirée, if you could be so kind as to take a look at my thread “Dinner Guest Menu Dilemma”.

Latest posts

Top Bottom