URGENT HELP: Peanut Butter Balls!

Joined Dec 23, 2017
Hi All! First time poster, first time confection-maker.

I am trying to make very easy Peanut Butter Balls to take home for Christmas. I followed The Joy of Baking recipe (see link). However, I cannot get the peanut butter to de-liquify and firm into a dough. (not that it's a liquid...just runny) This is no matter how much sugar I add. And I really want to stop adding sugar-i'm about a cup over the recipe-or they will be gross!

I have my mixing bowl in the fridge, hoping that will work. But the issue is that it wouldn't firm into a dough. I fear having it in the fridge is going to do no more than refrigerating a milkshake.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/PeanutButterBalls.html

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Agree with Chef.
When PB (as well as butter) are completely melted they are considered broken and nigh impossible to recover.
Question... did you allow your concoction to cool before adding the powdered sugar?
Tip... powdered sugar contains some corn starch and maybe the dough will tighten once it is cold.
If so remix and form a few balls and allow to sit at room temp for a bit.... after all it is Christmas Eve and I believe in miracles.

mimi

Joined Jul 28, 2001
the extra sugar is just going to melt in the refrigeration, exacerbating the problem. either add some more regular peanut butter or regular unsalted butter for that matter. Both will help firm the dough up. Let the butter sit out until semi-soft minimum, then mix it in and refrigerate. HTH's

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Sorry I didn't see @flipflopgirl post. I didn't look at the original recipe but cornstarch usually works on the rebound from heating to chilling. It's the Holidays, improvise. Pick up a package of small spoons on your way. When you get there, scoop a small spoonful and drizzle some chocolate over them. Arrange them on a platter and I would venture to say they will be a hit!
Baking is about having fun, not worrying.:>)

Joined Dec 23, 2017
Thanks all! To clarify, I did microwave for 60 seconds, as the directions said, and the butter/pb did thicken as it cooled.

I realized what the problem was, rookie mistake: I used granulated sugar by accident! I got the wrong kind when I went shopping. Oh well. Live and learn.

I was able to chill the mixture in the fridge, which then had a batter consistency, and gloop it onto the wax paper using a spoon. I got a good 35 pieces out of it with still some left. I froze them overnight and am doing the chocolate dipping today.

Thank you again for your help!

Top Bottom