Upgrading From A Mac MTH-80 Chef's Knife

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by Richard Pham, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Richard Pham

Richard Pham

Exp:
    Marginal Home Cook
    This is my first post here, so if I am blatantly violating etiquette, please let me know. I tried to find a pinned post or FAQ for this without success.

Anyway, I have been using an MTH-80 for the last ten years. I like the knife immensely, for fairly low maintenance (honing every fortnight, personally sharpened every 2-3 months), it retains an excellent edge and doesn't feel like the knife's aged at all. I only have modest home cooking needs (so a family of two to four) and use the knife for 8-10 meals a week on average. I do not do anything stupid like send the knife to the dishwasher, attempting to use it for non-food items, or otherwise abuse it.

At this point, I would like to move to something even better as a Christmas present. I would prefer the knife to be on the lower side of maintenance (so something like a Sabatier Carbon's with its extensive needs is not desired) and on the light side. Staining is fine, I don't care. I will not buy Cutco or a knife made in mainland China (Dalstrong comes to mind). Budget is less than $1000, but probably in the $200-$500 range.

Also, is there a FAQ for "recommended knives at various price points" post somewhere trustworthy? I tried the Cook's Illustrated, but their recommendations were not good at all (the cooking instructors I went to at NordicWare gave me the satisfying MTH-80 recommendation a decade ago).

2. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Welcome aboard!
    You may consider a 240mm gyuto. The extra length offers a greater contact area with the board, and result in a better edge retention.
    In the case of Japanese blades they still are light and easy to handle. Nothing to compare with German knives of the same size. You get used to it within a day. Never seen people going back to the 210mm once they used the 240.
    I would get a Misono UX-10. Steel offers a great retention at a very acceptable level of sharpness. Splendid Fit&Finish. Same profile as your MAC. Get it with Korin and ask for the free initial stone sharpening. So you have an edge you may easily reproduce while sharpening.
    Other option: a Ryusen Blazen. Comes with the better factory edge. Sharpens a bit easier. More traditional look. Same very high level of F&F.

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home