Update from a 19 year old.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by 17yearsoldexec, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 17yearsoldexec

17yearsoldexec

Exp:
    Other
    Hello chefs. I'm not sure if any of you remember, but about 18 months ago I started a thread explaining my job. I moved up from line cook to head of the kitchen very quickly. I posted this thread immediately after becoming head of the kitchen. I was 17 years old at the time, and remember getting extremely discouraging responses from you all. "you are not a chef, your just a f***ing kid!" was one of them. I thought i'd briefly share with you how things are going. I operate a crew of 1 sous chef and 6 full time line cooks, as well as 4 kids that are part time. The oldest person on the line is 24. I'm 19. We serve between 200 and 250 covers on a weekend night, around 120 on a weeknight. The restaurant is moderately profitable and I get paid well. As do the cooks. I have a great relationship with the young (30 years old) owner, who also owns two other restaurants. I take care of scheduling, ordering, and managing the crew etc. I am gaining connections with other chefs in our immediate area, as we are in a shopping/dining/entertainment area in the urban core of our city. I have got 2 other job offers to be sous-chef around town, both of which weren't that great. Thats about it- we have a great crew and profitable restaurant. I have learned alot from ChefTalk, and thank you for all the information you give. I don't post much, I'm all eyes and ears...learned as much as i could about the business in the 4 years busting suds and searing ribeyes by the hundreds leading up to this position. Oh, and I told you so - LOL. Thanks chefs.

2. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sorry but I do not remember your older post but let me be the first to say congrats. Keep growing and keep learning as in this biz it never ends. At your age and experience (mine also) it is great to learn and network with other cooks/chefs as well as read/learn/tweak and apply the knowledge.

Keep up the good work and post some more of what you are up to.

3. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm new here, and thusly haven't read your former post.  So you're a Chef.  You manage a small kitchen.  It's profitable.  Congratulations.  Here, take this cookie.  Put that in your mouth.  Mmmm.

I think maybe you were met by such resentment because you held the position of Chef at such a young age, with no real experience.  Experience at that restaurant, sure, and I'm not discrediting that.  Many of us that didn't go to culinary school had to toil under a lot of different chefs before we were even allowed to wear a coat.  I'm sure you're very good at what you do, but your knowledge is therein limited by the scope of your menu.

I really don't mean to sound spiteful or condescending here, but you can't really pull off an "I told you so" to a large group of properly trained chefs, many of which have worked in huge kitchens, just because you're the king of a diner somewhere that no one's ever even heard of.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    punctuation... then i might know what you are talking about...

... till then i'd have to say I haven't a clue what your update is about

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
  6. nebraskabeef

nebraskabeef

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I post an update. I never ask for your 2 cents. I realize everything your telling me, i wasn't born last night. No need for the condescending post. Just wanted to let the older chefs out there know what's going on, as most older chefs are interested in the next generation of troops in the trenches. It is no diner, it's a 142 seat French Brasserie.

7. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    You do realize you are posting on a discussion board right?  This isn't your twitter account or facebook page.

8. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You're OK Kid. It's all good. Ride the pony you're on as long as you can, it won't last forever. When the time to move on comes along you can do it with a few $$$ in your pocket. No problemmo with that. Don't worry about any negativity. It's non-productive. Worry about dishes coming back. Our business aint'e rocket surgery, it's putting really good food on plates and serving as many happy return customers willing to give us their $$$ as we can.

17yearsoldexec likes this.
  9. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nebraskabeef:

RBandu was directing his comment at the originator of this thread, not you. The person starting this thread runs the kitchen of a steakhouse. Regardless of that, when you start threads here, you don't get to pick and choose what type of reply you will get. As Twyst said, this is an internet discussion forum. Anyone's posts here will be discussed, that's the whole point.

10. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [font=arial, sans-serif]I'm kind of confused.  Is nebraskabeef an alias of the original poster?  Also tell me more about this 142-seat "French" brewery in Nebraska. [/font]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  11. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like, really, I keep checking for a reply every minute. 

12. cookers

cookers

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    ''4 years busting suds and searing ribeyes by the hundreds leading up to this position''

If that's all it took to become an executive chef and make a lot of money, why did I waste so much time learning thousands of other things? Geeeez!

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Congrats.. But here is something to ponder. You are the Chef  THERE in that place and have been there 18. monthes. That does not mean that you can do this in every place. If you walked into an all continental cuisine upscale emporium ,lmay not even know what the dishes they are serving are. Not that I am trying to discourage you, but if You walked into a NYC Hotel, or club with 4 or 5 outlets  I believe you would be overwelmed and lost. I could probably ask you to prepare 5 dishes, and you would not even know what they were. You are diong well and good for the place and situation you are in, again congrats.

14. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Most of us are very interested and are glad to hear things are going well. I do have to say I'm a bit confused as it looks like we one person posting under two accounts but hey it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet. If that is the case and it's an over site then perhaps the mods could combine the accounts.

I've always felt that if you swim in the Internet forum pool long enough eventually some one will rub your ru-barb the wrong way. That doesn't mean you have to give them the satisfaction of a response. Far easier said than done at times.

In either event now that "17yearsoldexec" has secured the position perhaps it's time for a little humility. I'm sure when most of us were in our teens and even our 20's we wanted that title of Executive Chef so bad we could taste it. Enjoy the ride but remember an Executive Chef is not a working Chef or Chef de Cuisine. If you haven't already get involved with the ACF and get your employment documented. More points for certification so you can get that C.E.C. at the end of your name.  ;)

Keep up the good work!

Dave

15. 17yearsoldexec

17yearsoldexec

Exp:
    Other
    Nebraskabeef is my dad, and i didn't realize he was still logged in when i wrote my last reply. LOL that must have seemed confusing as hell. Thanks for all the encouragement, and chefedb you are absolutely right. Like I said, I'm all ears, just learning as much as i can.

It's a 74 year-old, place that is currently owned by the grandson of the original owner, who came from france as many immigrants in Omaha have. We are known for our house-brewed beer and not-ironically out of style french classics such as coq au vin and porc mignon. Je n'ai jamais dit que je connaissais plus que quiconque. ne pas mettre des mots dans ma bouche.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  16. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gotta love Google Translate...

17. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    A french brasserie that isnt known for classic french food, but is instead known for its beer.   I am confused ><

18. 17yearsoldexec

17yearsoldexec

Exp:
    Other
    We are known for classic french food, that's what I said. I even gave examples of dishes...? And "Brasserie" directly translates to "Brewery" in english.

19. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    lol I read what you said a different way.  I read it as we are known for beer, NOT for dishes like coq au vin ......

Now I c wut u did there

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You did however mention Beer first. I to had to look twice.  Bistro's I waent to in France we mostly drank wine  and Evian water  never really went to a bad one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.