Upcoming Wine Dinner

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by greg, Sep 3, 2005.

1. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So, we've got this wine dinner coming up in a week or so, and it features Argentinian and Chilean wines. Although we usually don't limit ourselves like this, for some bizaare reason we're doing food themed to that region. So the chef tells me to get online and find some authentic things we can do. The problem is, all I could find were stews, empanadas and roasted meats; pretty plain fare for what our members expect of us. So, aside from doing the deconstruct/reconstruct on the authentic foods I could find, does anyone know of some food from that region that will work well in a fine-dining setting without a lot of tweaking?

2. kaffeenjunkie

kaffeenjunkie

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Empandas and steaks and stews what do you expect??

Why not just use a few ingredients indigeous to the area and use them to give your fav dishes a new twist??
    Or maybe take a number of number of trditional dishes and turn them into tapas

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/searc...gentinian+Food

Just recieved a bottle of Alamos Malbec wine this afternoon.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Man I can't think of any. Just serve the stew with a silver spoon man. ;)

4. dglaser5765

dglaser5765

Ask your meat purveyor about Argentinian beef...It's great and they are VERY VERY well known for it.

Matambres are nice, especially if you are talking argentinian.

Don't forget chimichurri...Which is more or less South America's ketchup!

Tamales are also very popular, especially in Chile...Tomalito is usually the top choice, as it's cheap and plentiful.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

5. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
  6. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, all! I've got something I can work with, now. I'll try to get some pics when we do the dinner so you can see the fruits of your labor. Minus the silver spoon, though, Kuan!

7. deltadoc

deltadoc

Greg,
    Kuan and I live close enough that we could both bring silver spoons and try the results rather than just looking at a picture of them!

Reminds me of a meeting in a company I used to work for. The VP brought in donuts for the Shoreview location, but the South Dakota people complained that they didn't get any.

So we faxed them a picture. The resultant humor fed their heads although not their stomachs!

doc