Upcoming interview for a job...

Joined Jan 26, 2004
Trying to keep it short....

I am a Biologist and I almost got a PhD in Molecular Biology but I decided that being a pastry chef was my calling in life. I found a great job in a small bistro, but after 5 months I quit because I didn't like my employer and they were paying me very little. I wrote to a really famous and accomplished pastry chef in my area and she wants to meet me for an interview.

My question is: Do I bring anything that I normally like to bake to the interview? This is what I did to my previous job and I got the position. Is it too pretentious? The pastry chef I am meeting has written few cookbooks and has received few awards so I am a basket case!

I really want this job so I am so nervous! :eek:

Any suggestions on what to say?

Thanks!

:chef:

Joined May 26, 2001
Sounds like you are on the verge of a great learning experience! I would not bring anything other than great enthusiasm, solid research on what she's done, and questions about her work. I'd expect she's looking at you as someone to assist her and to learn to do things HER way. This interview is more for her to see how you fit in with her style than for you to demonstrate your own personal style. If you are well prepared to answer her questions and to ask good questions of your own, you'll be fine. Relax. :D

But one word of warning: this might also be low-paying scut work. What you get out of it is a chance to learn, to get some more experience under your belt, to be able to tell future employers that you worked with her, and eventually to make use of her contacts for other work.

And one more warning: you may not like her, either. But that doesn't matter. In this business, as in every other, we often have to work with/for people we don't like. If we can learn a lot from them, and use the experience to further our own careers, we just grumble when we get home but put the personal feelings on hold. Unless, of course, they really treat us and others badly.

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Suzanne you are so wise.

Xaleto...i hope you got the job.

pastry section & microbiology wow theres food for thought.

Joined May 26, 2001
:blush:

Makes perfect sense to me: pastry is highly scientific; there's a good reason they call the recipes "formulas."

Joined Jan 26, 2004
Thank you Suzanne!

I have to tell you that I wasn't relaxed at all and I felt so stupid during the interview, I couldn't articulate at all. I don't think I conveyed that I was responsible for all the pastry and desserts at my previous job. The evening desserts were all mine, from main thing to sauces etc. I also got lots of orders from regular costumers. I really hope that in doubts she will call my former employer and co-chef who can tell her my potential and skill level.

I will hear soon, but I left with the feeling that they won't hire me because of my little experience. They are interviewing other people.

I am trying to find out what a pastry chef assistant makes in the Bay Area. I was making $10/hour being the executive pastry chef at this place that was barely making it. I have another job offer to be the executive pastry chef at a local place that is opening and again they offered $12/hour. Is this what people make normally? My husband keeps telling me that I should make between $30-$40,000 per year from what he heard.

I really believe that my background in science and working in a laboratory contributed to my choice of becoming a pastry chef. Potions!

Thanks again,

Xaleto

Top Bottom