unprepared for stage?

Discussion in 'Culinary Externships / Internships' started by paul297, Nov 30, 2017.

1. paul297

paul297

Exp:
    prep
    Hi everyone, I've lurked for a while on ChefTalk and finally decided to make an account to post. I've just recently got an opportunity to stage at one of the best restaurants in my city (Providence, RI) and I am super eager to learn but I feel like I'm unprepared for this. My only experience is really dish-washing and very little prep work at a catering business. I am currently not enrolled in culinary school, but I decided to stage to see if working in kitchens is right for me. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice/tips?

2. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kid ... as a stage you're not really expected to be all that prepared for much. The more of course the better though. If you worry about things you will have lots more problems than if you don't. Go in and do the best that you can do. Nobody will ask for or expect more than that. Pay attention and be ambitious, look for stuff to do before being told. You'll be fine.

drirene, azenjoys and paul297 like this.
  3. azenjoys

azenjoys

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Bring a pocket notebook with a waterproof cover (like a moleskin) and something to write with. Trim your nails. Be polite to everyone. When you finish a task, don't wait for someone to ask you to do the next thing - ask them, "What's next?" Clean up as you go. Do the things they tell you to do with your absolute best attitude and you'll be fine - everyone starts at the beginning.

drirene likes this.
  4. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    As long as you listen completely and do what you are asked you will be fine. Yes, definitely clean as you go. They are looking for someone who is trainable and happy to be there. Skills come with time.

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't do it! if you have nothing to show then you can't do anything. Call them up and tell them your a hard worker and welling to learn. This would be like getting your drivers license and applying to be a Nascar driver.