Unmolding desserts in silicone molds

Joined Sep 29, 2017
Hello all,

I just purchased a couple of Pavoflex ramp silicone molds but I'm having trouble unmolding the dessert I'm making with them. I've piped chocolate mousse into the cavities and frozen them for 2+ days in my walk-in freezer. When I pop the bars out of the mold, they don't unmold cleanly and I'm losing the nice detail. It *might* be the sugar content of my mousse but it's not particularly sweet. Would adding gelatin to the mousse help? Should I pan spray/cocoa powder dust the molds before piping in the mousse? Any tips/tricks/advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
I'm assuming you are warming the outside of the mold gently in hot/warm water before unmolding?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Maybe the air bubbles in your mousse are too large? Maybe the detailed parts weren't completely filled? Or maybe it got too cold after 2+ days that the mousse became brittle?

Air is usually the most common problem I have with unmoulding a Pavoflex. A mixture like carrot mousse that isn't quite homogenized gives me the most trouble. Filling the mould too fast leaving air pockets in the detailed parts is another common problem.

I don't have that particular shape so I don't know if maybe the shape you bought is inherently more difficult to unmould?

Cdp

Joined Aug 31, 2017
i generally have to dust mine sometimes hot water as just a dip in to soften the edges

Joined Feb 18, 2007
Do you have a reach in freezer? Sometimes the walk in isn't cold enough; and I have better luck with the reach-in for silicone molds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom